• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Banter and General Disco 2

dendrite

Looks like NWS is investigating possible 24 hour state snowfall record in Montague NJ of 33.2".   The mid DEC 2020 storm also had a possible state record in Peru VT of 44.2".   Two 24 hour state records in one season---pretty damn impressive.  If they are confirmed.

NJ weather: Did NJ break state snow record? 33 inches may be top mark (app.com)

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Looks like NWS is investigating possible 24 hour state snowfall record in Montague NJ of 33.2".   The mid DEC 2020 storm also had a possible state record in Peru VT of 44.2".   Two 24 hour state records in one season---pretty damn impressive.  If they are confirmed.

I wonder if any of the areas that jacked in the December storm got walloped again?  It seems like your area over towards Ludlow has done well this year

17 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I wonder if any of the areas that jacked in the December storm got walloped again?  It seems like your area over towards Ludlow has done well this year

Not sure about NY state, but in VT most spots were 8-12" in this event.  So no outrageous totals. 

Yes, I'm around 85" which is the most I've had at this point in any winter season.

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Not sure about NY state, but in VT most spots were 8-12" in this event.  So no outrageous totals. 

Yes, I'm around 85" which is the most I've had at this point in any winter season.

I would say the best overlap between the two big systems may have been half hour west of Albany

34 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

That's a bad look. 

But he is donating a ton to struggling restaurants so thats gotta be worth something. I'm sure there's something in it for him though

Yeah I don’t know/.: most of that money is coming from outside of barstool.

Also, telling everyone to hold and then selling under the cover of darkness is so sketchy. He basically told people to hold to keep the stock values up so he could salvage what he could 

25 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Yeah I don’t know/.: most of that money is coming from outside of barstool.

Also, telling everyone to hold and then selling under the cover of darkness is so sketchy. He basically told people to hold to keep the stock values up so he could salvage what he could 

Disappointing. Yeahs he's most likely a dbag..but I have enjoyed most of his schtick in the past. 

16 hours ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Mount Arlington in western Morris County reported 35.1", by a trained spotter.  Don't know if it all came in 24 hr.  IF validated it top the 34": at Cape May in 1899.  Though it's odd that the least snowy site in New Jersey recorded the state's biggest snowfall, that Feb 1899 storm was more than just odd.  Tallahassee had snow and a low of -2 during that cold snap and NYC temps/snow are shown below:
2/9     11   -2     0
2/10    7    -6     0
2/11    9    -2     0
2/12    9     4     5.3
2/13   11    6   10.7

I know this is now a stock page(ha ha) I have a question, is there a proper way to measure snowfall under windy conditions like the last event?  I measured 13" in two spots, measure 11" and 14", anything over 12" we bill as "two storms", one commercial client said, local TV said Nashua,NH got 11", thoughts? 

4 minutes ago, 512high said:

I know this is now a stock page(ha ha) I have a question, is there a proper way to measure snowfall under windy conditions like the last event?  I measured 13" in two spots, measure 11" and 14", anything over 12" we bill as "two storms", one commercial client said, local TV said Nashua,NH got 11", thoughts? 

Measure twice, cut once, just like your old man taught you!

Or something like that, I have no idea really.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, 512high said:

Our general recommendation for any event (windy included) is at least 3 measurement spots that aren't scoured by wind or drifted in.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 512high said:

Thanks ,thats hard to do sometimes , I was out for the full storm, I would have to say ASH got at least 12", thanks for the response!

It's a crapshoot in windy conditions. We have 3 boards at GYX. We had 10(!) sites at DVN, but it was on a windblown muni airfield.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Can't miss it on radar now because they have some turbines just south of it and they light it up like a Christmas tree.

Kind of like up here in Canton, Those show up nicely on radar.......lol, Was up to Kibby Mtn a few weeks ago too sitting under one of those turbines as it was whooshing along.

IMG_5248.jpg.ce0915fa1d4fa4adfc94067ae8cf6794.jpg

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Do you know what causes the attenuation for BOX radar?  Usually see gaps in it.

Do you have an example in mind? Attenuation is typically caused by heavy precip or rain/snow on the dome and is temporary vs blockages or clutter which will be present all of the time.

8 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Kind of like up here in Canton, Those show up nicely on radar.......lol

Yeah we can see all the Patriot Renewables (Canton, Spruce Mt, and Saddleback Wind) but oddly enough can't see the Record Hill project north of Rumford because it is on the other side of the terrain and the radar doesn't detect the turbulence created.

It's not the blades we see, but the turbulence of air through the project.

GYX can also see some of the high peaks of the Mahoosucs and Whites as well. I can think of the Carter Range, MWN, Sunday River and Bear Mt, Baldface or Sable in Carroll County, Old Speck.

• Like 1