Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Stamford to philly is a 2hr ride but then again we consider Stamford pretty much NYC anyway. 

yeah, it takes me an hour to get to bport from my house, 2 hr philly drive my ass...and I kinda consider all of fairfield county a part of nyc, maybe not north fairfield county but definitely south, and sw.

7 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Either a weaker block or slow the system down to give it a chance to retreat some.

It hit me at 18z just how far out the event is... I don’t expect a north trend but not having the system even getting started at the end of the 84 hour model runs is a very long time in model world.  The shortwave could be a beast, or it could be a false alarm... the block could be massive or it could be over estimated.  There’s a lot of time left in this.

The big ones can have great lead time but I’ve personally seen plenty of modeled huge NNE synoptic storms go sideways at this lead time.  Makes me think something could change in any direction.

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It hit me at 18z just how far out the event is... I don’t expect a north trend but not even having the system even getting started at the end of the 84 hour model runs is a very long time in model world.  The shortwave could be a beast, or it could be a false alarm... the block could be massive or it could be over estimated.  There’s a lot of time left in this.

The big ones can have great lead time but I’ve seen plenty of modeled huge NNE synoptic storms go sideways at this lead time.

Time will tell, I'm luke warm on this one.

21 minutes ago, Greg said:

I was looking through the "KU" book carefully. One "weak" but potential storm analog is the December 10-13 1960 Northeaster (La Nina Winter). Again a weak analog. However, in the "Near Misses" section, there are a couple that come close. Need to be closer to the potential event before even I can narrow this down to anything similar in this set-up.

Dec 11-12, 1960 was an all timer.  One of my favorite storms in all of my experience 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Dec 11-12, 1960 was an all timer.  One of my favorite storms in all of my experience 

I'll never forget that one.  I was 13 at the time and my father worked at the Sears catalogue plant on Brookline Ave.  We didn't own a car back then, so he had to use the bus and rapid transit, all of which were shut down from the storm when he left work.  He attempted to walk home in the storm (about 5-6 miles) but ended up staying for the night a short distance away at one of the hospitals down there.

Monday's storm could deliver quite a punch if the cold air moves in time to the coast and the precip waits another six hours.  Like almost a partial phase would help us a bit!  Models mostly have the low like stop intensifying as it travels from NJ to the benchmark, and then it intensifies explosively afterward.  00z NAM is different now, with the low intensifying before it reaches the benchmark and dumps a secondary QPF max near ACK and CHH!  The speed and progressive nature, while intensification is taking place is a prohibitive to anything more substantial than significant snowfall potential!

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

Now the WED NGHT - THUR storm threat looks like to be impacted by the block and therefore become a potential long duration snow event for SNE and the northern MID ATL!

I don't see this storm going over 15 hours for us here in Eastern Southern New England.