• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Woah, I did not say the block is the reason why it will be a long duration storm.  The trough goes negative, and the H5 trough closes off into an upper low.  The upper low captures the surface low prolonging the event even further.  Models could trend to a stronger shortwave given that the trough that is the main energy for the storm is still off the west coast and is just beginning to come ashore.  Again, sampling matters when it comes to the exact track of the surface low and H5 features.  Honestly, that is a massive upper level low over the NE Pacific Ocean off the WA coast.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 4

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

Actually, it isn’t.  

What are you talking about?  A -NAO can easily shunt storms to our south.  I am not saying this one in particular, I am saying strong -NAOs in general have the ability to shunt southward.  SNE does not need a strong -NAO for a KU event to unfold.  However, I do not think the WED/THUR storm is only a 12-15 hour storm.  The big storms have a tendency to trend more dynamic within the four day window as well as trend longer in duration.  We have some time before the energy is completed sampled, about until 00z/ DEC 14th.

• Haha 1

Just now, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

What are you talking about?  A -NAO can easily shunt storms to our south.  I am not saying this one in particular, I am saying strong -NAOs in general have the ability to shunt southward.  SNE does not need a strong -NAO for a KU event to unfold.  However, I do not think the WED/THUR storm is only a 12-15 hour storm.  The big storms have a tendency to trend more dynamic within the four day window as well as trend longer in duration.  We have some time before the energy is completed sampled, about until 00z/ DEC 14th.

You said it’s similar to 2009-10.  That block was way stronger.  This is a conveniently timed one like many other storms.