Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If it’s legit then we should see the non-hydrostatic models start doing it even more than the hydrostatics as we get closer. So those will be the ones to watch.

Deep convection like that will be handled worse by the hydrostatic models. 

The frenchie still looks good at 18z. Did you know that's the same model core as the Euro?

6 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Kev just posted but here's our map. 

High impact event in CT. We feel pretty good about the forecast. Lower floor than some others in the event we do see that sharp cutoff in far northern CT, but currently thinking most end up in double digits.

Nice to not have to worry about p-type for once. 

12-16-20-first-call-map_orig.png

We see that sharp cutoff up into S-C NH, not CT

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Man Hi res slams south coast. 

I have a feeling there's going to be a pretty narrow band along the max fgen zone that gets slammed. I doubt it's nearly as widespread as the QPF queens would believe. I could see something like the 18z Euro (narrow band of really good stuff) and less on either side. Not sure, of course, where that band is. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

If it’s legit then we should see the non-hydrostatic models start doing it even more than the hydrostatics as we get closer. So those will be the ones to watch.

Deep convection like that will be handled worse by the hydrostatic models. 

I wonder if the s/w sort of damping out/getting sheared opens the door for non-hydrostatic stuff to start taking over with convection offshore. We'll have less and less forcing from DCVA as that s/w weakens over SNE but may see convection start running the show over the Gulf Stream and messing with the WCB and other stuff. 

• Like 1

It looks like a lot of the Northeast has soil temperatures in the low 40s still. That's not super warm, but it doesn't help either. Usually shave off 20% from the model depictions if the ground is above 40 out here. I'd have to look but you guys were probably in the 60s in the 2009 storm before it happened, but this isn't as ideal as that setup either.

Soil-Temps-Northeast

• Haha 3
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 2

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

I wonder if the s/w sort of damping out/getting sheared opens the door for non-hydrostatic stuff to start taking over with convection offshore. We'll have less and less forcing from DCVA as that s/w weakens over SNE but may see convection start running the show over the Gulf Stream and messing with the WCB and other stuff. 

Yeah it’s possible. If it is, then the non-hydrostatic models should start showing this even more than regular global models ala euro. 

Still a bit out of their wheelhouse but the nonhydrostatics have been pretty far NW. 

1 minute ago, moneypitmike said:

This could wind up being one of the most tracked disappointments of the last couple of years.

Who they hell started this thread so far out?  They should be banned. 

You think there shouldn't be a thread for this? what in the actual hell

Just now, raindancewx said:

It looks like a lot of the Northeast has soil temperatures in the low 40s still. That's not super warm, but it doesn't help either. Usually shave off 20% from the model depictions if the ground is above 40 out here. I'd have to look but you guys were probably in the 60s in the 2009 storm before it happened, but this isn't as ideal as that setup either.

Soil-Temps-Northeast

The airmass coming in is frigid. Skin sfc will be plenty cold.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, raindancewx said:

Soil-Temps-Northeast

It started instantly accumulating from a few flakes today after half a day of rain.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Soil-Temps-Northeast

We don’t live in New Mexico. Snow sticks here 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

2 minutes ago, raindancewx said:

Soil-Temps-Northeast

If the airmass isn’t garbage - and it won’t be - this matters exactly zero.....it will stick and begin accumulating immediately.....we’ve seen storms in October and Morch do this

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

This could wind up being one of the most tracked disappointments of the last couple of years.

I have found when convection is involved, So is disappointment, Just ask Wiz, ha ha.

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, moneypitmike said:

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

You think there shouldn't be a thread for this? what in the actual hell

Read the post.

How did today's installment of the multiple events play out?  Hope springs eternal but the 18z EC leads to just a little bit less spring.

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I will take my chances with this look

My understanding of H5 vort maps isn't the best, but when I compared 12z at 72 hours to 18z at 66 hours, there seemed to be a clear south shift of the best forcing, and it seems to be due to a stronger high to the north.

In case I am reading this wrong, what else should I look for to better understand the dynamics?

jbSlFNO.png

ub7yd9D.png