• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Active mid December with multiple event potential

Typhoon Tip

Too bad the skill isn't so hot ...because the NAVGEM at 18z trended boldly toward pan-dimensional CCB ... Capital district, to NYC to PVD to PWD to CON ...SE VT ... whole region... 8+ suggestion.

And another thing that occurs to me.. .this is going to generate 25 mph gusts .. may 32 in the interior, and probably 40 at the hill tops, and coastal plain ...and if snows even an inch an hour in this profile we may have a blowing/exaggerate visibility issue

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it’s possible. If it is, then the non-hydrostatic models should start showing this even more than regular global models ala euro. 

Still a bit out of their wheelhouse but the nonhydrostatics have been pretty far NW. 

The 18z RGEM wasn't lured by the convection to the E.

prateptype.us_ne.png

prateptype.us_ne.png

prateptype.us_ne.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Too bad the skill isn't so hot ...because the NAVGEM at 18z trended boldly toward pan-dimensional CCB ... Capital district, to NYC to PVD to PWD to CON ...SE VT ... whole region... 8+ suggestion.

And another thing that occurs to me.. .this is going to generate 25 mph gusts .. may 32 in the interior, and probably 40 at the hill tops, and coastal plain ...and if snows even an inch an hour in this profile we may have a blowing/exaggerate visibility issue

Luckily it will be happening overnight, feel for the people working 2nd/3rd shift though - I guess Boston could be rush hour hell

The areal averaged soundings on TT are a pretty nice tool.  I note that the 3km nam and the gfs are pretty similar off the coast... around hr 54 the GFS really starts racing convection ENE off like VA beach....  If anything convective parameters for the nammy are a little better in that region (approaching 200 j/kg SBCAPE, mid 60s/low 60s, a ton of helicity)  and yet it's not nearly as aggressive as the GFS in actually generating ^(organized) thunderstorms.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fozz said:

My understanding of H5 vort maps isn't the best, but when I compared 12z at 72 hours to 18z at 66 hours, there seemed to be a clear south shift of the best forcing, and it seems to be due to a stronger high to the north.

In case I am reading this wrong, what else should I look for to better understand the dynamics?

jbSlFNO.png

ub7yd9D.png

But to what Will was saying, look at the curl on the 18z run vs flatter 12z. This is why at first I thought it might be  better. Then I saw qpf and mslp and figured the difference was the convection. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Luckily it will be happening overnight, feel for the people working 2nd/3rd shift though - I guess Boston could be rush hour hell

This has slowed down a bit, hasn't it...I'm still stuck in past runs. This is more of a morning deal now for E Mass?

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

About 80% of the population is working from home in some capacity . It’s not the same as even a year ago 

I don't know if it is 80%, but it's a lot, that's true. My kids' school has already said that if there aren't power issues, they just have a remote day instead of a cancelled day.

13 minutes ago, Fozz said:

My understanding of H5 vort maps isn't the best, but when I compared 12z at 72 hours to 18z at 66 hours, there seemed to be a clear south shift of the best forcing, and it seems to be due to a stronger high to the north.

In case I am reading this wrong, what else should I look for to better understand the dynamics?

jbSlFNO.png

ub7yd9D.png

18z is closer to closing off, which would drive everything north 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, JC-CT said:

I don't know if it is 80%, but it's a lot, that's true. My kids' school has already said that if there aren't power issues, they just have a remote day instead of a cancelled day.

And even if some people have to go into the office they now are allowed and have the set up to WFH on snow days. Most corporate jobs now have that . And most corporate jobs, IT jobs etc etc are all WFH full time 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

So is the EPS better than the Op generally?

The EPS is the ensemble run. It has many individual model runs that are slightly perturbed to adjust for all scenarios. So the eps mean is the average of all individual runs. Where as the euro is one single run. The mean provides more confidence and changes less run to run. 

3 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

And even if some people have to go into the office they now are allowed and have the set up to WFH on snow days. Most corporate jobs now have that . And most corporate jobs, IT jobs etc etc are all WFH full time 

Are 80% of jobs corporate jobs?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, DotRat_Wx said:

The EPS is the ensemble run. It has many individual model runs that are slightly perturbed to adjust for all scenarios. So the eps mean is the average of all individual runs. Where as the euro is one single run. The mean provides more confidence and changes less run to run. 

Further out yes but not as we get closer and closer