• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 5-6, 2020 Storm Observations and Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

it's not unprecedented for the outer Cape/ or Islands to clear in these coastal storms.

The 700 mb passing ideally for the HFD-CON axis, typically/geometrically favors a dry intrusion to that latitude out there...  What'll happen soon is that the low will migrate up toward Boston Light over the outer Harbor, and down there they'll get pounded by a rapidly backed west gale/storm force iso. b wind pulse and probably storm chaff ripped around the backside -

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Which stubbornly resists much northward movement.  Should that continue, I see a significant bust, 12-18" becoming maybe 6-8 (which still ain't too shabby for 1st week DEC.)  1/2"/hr isn't going to get our depth anywhere near the forecast.  Still time, however.

We definitely still have time. I think the surprise here is just how much of this is being driven by precip rates, so we're getting very little accumulation outside of the main band. It's actually hurting me not to be in the grids on this event though. 

This always felt like a 8-14" to me, but I definitely had an eye on spot 20 potential. I still think 8-14" could play but may be a lot narrower than originally thought.

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

We definitely still have time. I think the surprise here is just how much of this is being driven by precip rates, so we're getting very little accumulation outside of the main band. It's actually hurting me not to be in the grids on this event though. 

This always felt like a 8-14" to me, but I definitely had an eye on spot 20 potential. I still think 8-14" could play but may be a lot narrower than originally thought.

Funny...I was thinking that exact same thing an hour ago -

really simple cookie-cutter reasoning kind of was sufficient,  'if it falls faster than it melts, it snows'   lol.. .but yeah -

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Funny...I was thinking that exact same thing an hour ago -

really simple cookie-cutter reasoning kind of was sufficient,  'if it falls faster than it melts, it snows'   lol.. .but yeah -

There’s a feedback there too in addition to what you said. The harder it snows, the closer to 32F the lowest layer gets from latent cooling...and when the intensity slackens a bit it goes back to like 33-34F. 

Have to be bordering on +SN in Londonderry. It feels like a legit snowstorm right now. Winds picking up, cold, probably have 4. Can we get to 10?! This is my favorite part of a snowstorm. I prefer night events for some reason. The best part is when the sun is rising on an overnight monster or vice versa. It should start piling up fast here until shutoff

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

R/S line is hanging out just outside of BOS 

CODNEXLAB_NEXRAD_GYX_N0C_20201205_2011_2

Trying to interpret this CC loop, as the low values become uniformly high over the Gulf of Maine again. I'm thinking it's a sharpening rain/snow line becoming more upright over time. So the radar beam shoots through it quicker.

Center of the storm is still  off shore just south/southwest of Nantucket moving northeast. Dryslot over the outer elbow of the Cape. Hopefully this Banding sets up just right so we can get some good snows to fall within this relatively short period of time left.:snowing: