Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

26 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Yeah it’s close. Signs were there for a possibility and today’s runs moved in the right direction. Fingers crossed it keeps going that way. 

These are the kind of events that when they trend our way it goes a long way in determining good winters or at least decent winters. They pop up inside of 3-5 days and aren't too complex.  Of course they have a ceiling limit as far as juicing up but definitely can be noteworthy light/moderate events.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

Faster motion for this perfect track rainstorm gets it out of the way a bit and allows this Monday possibility room to amplify and maybe turn the corner a bit. 

2013-14 storms show up under D5 rule in effect?

We sure know how storms can disappear under D5 so my as well reacquaint ourselves with how they can show up

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Faster motion for this perfect track rainstorm gets it out of the way a bit and allows this Monday possibility room to amplify and maybe turn the corner a bit. 

2013-14 storms show up under D5 rule in effect?

Yeah @losetoa6 mentioned that in the short range thread. I’m okay with a quick hitting heavy rainer if it gives chance for something early next week. The light dusting I got yesterday has me jonesing for more 

7 minutes ago, Rhino16 said:

That would allow almost everyone here to be happy I would think...

Lol 

Ji will be complaining about radar and the back edge before first flakes and how it would have been 30” if it wasn’t moving so fast.  If it’s wet snow Mdecoy will be whining it was only 4” on his road because he measures in the middle of the street. If it’s dry Eskimo will be telling us how half of it sublimated by noon the next day.  Do I need to continue. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I don't want to make too much of this situation for Monday in this area and I'm not prepared to say that I am barking at this point but the Monday event does have the potential to be a bit of a surprise

This image shows  two  500 mb maps.   The  map on the left is the  12z   Thursday European model valid at 36 hours or Friday night. The  map on the right  the upper air map   from the  same  12z  Thursday  operational European model  VALID    evening  of   DEC 7.   IMO   what is particularly striking about it is that if you compare  the two will    notice that the upper air patterns are s almost identical.  But of course there are some key differences.  Notice that on  the Friday night we have no closed 500 low  --  known as the  50/ 50 LOW  in southeast Canada but we will have one according to the European model Monday night.

36.thumb.jpg.98c03374c80ee119432ff0ce7dbe7318.jpg

Also note  that on Friday night we have two short waves   -one in the Northern Jet Stream over Michigan and the southern one in Tennessee and Georgia  which is about to go negative. And that of course is going to trigger the coastal LOW and its rapid intensification. On Monday night DEC 7   we have a southern stream s/w  which is further  to the south which is still tilted slightly positive. The northern shortwave is closed off and this is located in Virginia and Pennsylvania.

The end result is that because we have the closed 500 low in southeast Canada these two short waves are going to  phase  further to the South  and east ….which means that the coastal LOW is going to form further to the South and probably off the coast. This is a timing problem. If the southern  s/w  were  to come in more neutral or negatively tilted over Georgia then you would end up with a much stronger Coastal LOW and the potential for a surprise snowstorm in portions of Virginia and Maryland on Monday December 7.

These two images show only light snow Monday morning in much of Virginia and temperatures are clearly cold enough. 

2107656441_prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ma(1).thumb.png.372b668b154a552f9efbc772ff42391c.png

prateptype_cat_ecmwf.us_ma.thumb.png.aff589932c5fb4dae3fe5124bb1ec82d.png

The 18z   Euro  is somewhat more aggressive with this burst of snow and this is supported by the  18z  EPS.

18zeps.jpg.3746d5d49eea70145d4efb7a7a404f3c.jpg

I think we will have to wait until after the Saturday system is gone before we will have a really good idea about what if anything is going to happen in the lower Middle Atlantic states on December 7th. Right now I think there is  pretty good chance for light snow event lasting most of the morning  / midday  for a good portion of the Dominion and perhaps portions of Southern Maryland and Delaware. Maybe it will  ll just be snow showers. Maybe  it will end  up being something a little more 

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2
  • Weenie 1

1 hour ago, mappy said:

Yeah @losetoa6 mentioned that in the short range thread. I’m okay with a quick hitting heavy rainer if it gives chance for something early next week. The light dusting I got yesterday has me jonesing for more 

I hear you on that!  Would be nice to not trash the entire weekend with more rain, rain, rain (not like we need more terribly much!)...have that move out quickly and potentially allow some chance of snow early next week (even if small), would be great about now.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Most haven’t had a snowstorm in almost 2 years and they’re gonna be picky lol  If a hot air balloon went overhead flown by a pilot with a bad case of dandruff I’d call it a win at this point. 

Yup...January 2019 is what I assume you're referring to from "almost 2 years ago".  And anything would beat the 1.5" slush that I got last year for the "largest" event (and about 2" total for the season, woo-hoo!).

ETA:  Oh, and I think some people forget just how bad it was in December 2015, when we had a +11 degree departure from normal for the month.  Just let that sink in for a moment.  Eleven.  Degrees.  Above.  Normal.  When it's unpleasantly muggy and damp on Christmas Eve, you know December sucks.  Thank God that kind of departure didn't happen in July!:lol:  Of course, a few weeks later we had a storm for the ages, but anyhow...

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic