Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

31 minutes ago, WEATHER53 said:

Last year st this time we had come out of cold but useless November and the writing was on the wall that after 12/10 looked miserable. It was even worse than that so it’s great to have snow potential discussions moving forward 

Yeah ya gotta hope that maybe it's an opposite effect: mild November colder/snowier December? :weenie:

22 minutes ago, LP08 said:

NAM at 84 caveats apply...quicker scoot of this weekends storm.  Phasing a little too late for everything to come together but it’s not far off.

58E589CD-6E79-4FE9-952B-DCAE293C667D.gif

Gotta watch that western ridge. If it starts to breakdown/roll-over too soon this'll get pushed east and it's a NC/VA special. Some of the 18z GEFS members were showing some NC and VA snow solutions. But it's certainly close for watching for Northern VA and MD folk.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Lol 

Ji will be complaining about radar and the back edge before first flakes and how it would have been 30” if it wasn’t moving so fast.  If it’s wet snow Mdecoy will be whining it was only 4” on his road because he measures in the middle of the street. If it’s dry Eskimo will be telling us how half of it sublimated by noon the next day.  Do I need to continue. 

Not anymore. I'll take anything. Especially if there's snow near Christmas.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

It surely will but I definitely put my trust in the op Euro when it comes to phasing.  Hopefully overnight runs continue the trend. 

The op euro has been a little to phase/amped happy lately.  Just throwing that out there.  I would rather not be relying on the model that has been the most over amped of late being the only guidance showing a decent scenario right now.  Everything else is very close, and trending the right way...just warning that the euro has been a little over done lately in the medium range recently  

21 minutes ago, Amped said:

I hate storms with no high.   

2/15/2010    Fail

3/3/2010      Fail   and  most similar to Mondays setup IMO

12/26/2010   Fail

of course having a high in a good spot is preferable.  Our simplest path to snow here is overrunning.  Anytime we get into needing a perfect upper level pass or phasing and all that jazz it gets complicated.  We are a little too far south for all that to go easy for us...and often things come together just a little late for our latitude.  But there are examples where things worked absent any real high.  Off the top of my head the early Feb storm in 1995 had no high.  I remember a storm in January 2001 I think where we got a decent snow with no high.  The xmas day 2002 snow (our last true white xmas) had no high.  The feb 2006 storm there was some really weak high in new eng but it was only like 1020 which is about what we have in this setup.  There wasn't too much of a high, only like 1024 way up in Maine for the January 2011 storm.  Sometimes we can work without.  But yea it would make it a LOT easier with one.  

4 minutes ago, Amped said:

Yes we just got a few flurries and a dryslot.   I think the NYC area and NE did quite a bit better.

http://mp1.met.psu.edu/~fxg1/NARR/2010/us0215.php

Are you thinking of the Feb 21 storm?  NYC got hit pretty good from that one.  Some places in New England got some moderate totals from the Feb 15 2010 event.  I think NYC had like 4"...but it wasn't that big a deal up there either.   The Feb 21 storm though...that was a monster we just missed.  But I had no issues with that...the whole period from late January to March kind of moved linearly imo.  The block was at its strongest and healthiest in late January early Feb and each storm shifted a little north in progression from then on as the blocking slowly weakened.  I agree the March 2010 storm has some similarity to this.  It had two lobes diving into the trough and they ran interference on each other instead of consolidating the energy into one storm.  This setup is somewhat similar.  

2 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Are you thinking of the Feb 21 storm?  NYC got hit pretty good from that one.  Some places in New England got some moderate totals from the Feb 15 2010 event.  I think NYC had like 4"...but it wasn't that big a deal up there either.   The Feb 21 storm though...that was a monster we just missed.  But I had no issues with that...the whole period from late January to March kind of moved linearly imo.  The block was at its strongest and healthiest in late January early Feb and each storm shifted a little north in progression from then on as the blocking slowly weakened.  I agree the March 2010 storm has some similarity to this.  It had two lobes diving into the trough and they ran interference on each other instead of consolidating the energy into one storm.  This setup is somewhat similar.  

NYC get snow a little snowstorm on 2/15-2/16 and a huge one on 2/25-2/26 in 2010. 

I was mentioning the little storm on 2/15 cause it was a 500mb bowling ball that tracked right over us. It  would have been another double digit dump if there was any sort of excuse for a high over New England

12 minutes ago, Amped said:

NYC get snow a little snowstorm on 2/15-2/16 and a huge one on 2/25-2/26 in 2010. 

I was mentioning the little storm on 2/15 cause it was a 500mb bowling ball that tracked right over us. It  would have been another double digit dump if there was any sort of excuse for a high over New England

Well...yea but we didn’t even need a high simply not that trough suppressing everything. 

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic