Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Medium/Long Range Discussion

yoda

4 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Nice pics. With the Nina we knew a good winter was almost off the table. The signs the NAM state might not be as hostile this year leaves me hopeful we will have opportunities and this might be a more typical not great but not god awful Nina either. 

Hope you're right! Because the fact that we had to draw a nina card after last year's disaster kinda stings...hope we can fluke into something!

6 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Hope you're right! Because the fact that we had to draw a nina card after last year's disaster kinda stings...hope we can fluke into something!

It's all about expectations.  Right now I would be ecstatic if we got a repeat of 2018 or 2019 and a lot of people were complaining all through those years.  

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

It's all about expectations.  Right now I would be ecstatic if we got a repeat of 2018 or 2019 and a lot of people were complaining all through those years.  

Oh no doubt...I think snow envy drives some of that complaining in those kind of years (at least for me anyway, lol Yet when we are snow-starved like we are now, you'd take even some 1-3" "scenery" snow! Anything is better than a complete shutout like last year...

JUST IN CASE    YOU DID NOT  NOTICE... since   the time I left ...  Oct  /Nov 2016   
we have NOT  have   BIG   widespread  northeast US snowstorms---

ya know like     RDU/ GSO     to   BOS     snowstorm   big  KU  event 

we have been  close  a few times    DEC   8-10  2017     Jan 3-5   2018   March 6-8  2018    DEC 12-13 2019  

1859632.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, psuhoffman said:

Eps tanks the NAO just enough to fight off the pac puke for a while. Fantasy land though. 

GEFS doesn't and the lower 48 is all above normal by day 15.  There are a few days of slightly below average temps mid month before the puke makes it to the east coast. All subject to change ofc.

3 hours ago, Weather Will said:

Mid December signal still there on 0Z GEFS, EPS, and GEPS.  I will be disappointed if DMV sees no snow by the 20th, but I have been disappointed before...

2 hours ago, Wentzadelphia said:

The OP 00z euro had a decent look day 10. Moderate HP wedged in could be a setup for a snow thump to rain type event. Obviously going to change though 

There’s a lot to like on the D10 EPS. 50/50, -east NAO, weak +PNA, and cold air. That period next week is definitely one to watch. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

More rain?

December is toast for us.

Unless you like making mud pies.

The whole month is crunchy bread with butter?  I guess 2020 we should expect that.  I’ll have eggs over easy, bacon and a side of December please..thanks Flo!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CAPE said:

GEFS doesn't and the lower 48 is all above normal by day 15.  There are a few days of slightly below average temps mid month before the puke makes it to the east coast. All subject to change ofc.

Right now it’s EPS and GEPS v GEFS in the long range. The differences start pretty early (relative to long range) between the two camps so it should resolve soon.  

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, LP08 said:

There is definitely a window between say the 13-18 of a pretty decent pattern available.  After the cutter next week, there will be some fresh cold air to tap.  

AEEF9787-134C-4D2F-B3D3-DACEF1655EE3.png

Pretty good look with the 50/50 low and a -NAO.  I don’t think we like the low heights over Alaska though, right?  We need those low heights further west to extend the PNA ridge up into Canada.  I could be wrong though.  

Just now, psuhoffman said:

Right now it’s EPS and GEPS v GEFS in the long range. The differences start pretty early (relative to long range) between the two camps so it should resolve soon.  

Fingers crossed but we all know how it likely will play out.  It is worth reminding everyone that December is not normally a snowy month....

Monthly DEC. average:

DCA:  1.5 days or 2.3 inches.

BWI: 1.7 days or 3 inches

Just now, jaydreb said:

Pretty good look with the 50/50 low and a -NAO.  I don’t think we like the low heights over Alaska though, right?  We need those low heights further west to extend the PNA ridge up into Canada.  I could be wrong though.  

Yeah it’s not perfect by any stretch but there is some cold available even if it’s brief.  Once that vortex parks over AK it will flood Canada with pac puke.  But, it’s a window with a chance.

8B87010A-1A00-49B2-A421-72CA98078A8A.png

20 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Long term that AK vortex is a killer. It will try to flood zonal pac air across the conus. It can be fought off sometimes temporarily if you have good atl blocking but even then it’s a struggle. But oddly enough a lot of our snowstorms feature a trough near Alaska. That’s because there is a lag effect of several days to a week before that feature kills us. But in the meantime the short term effect often opens up a window of opportunity here if there is some atl blocking. As the ridge response to that AK vortex crashes into the west coast often there is a temporary downstream trough in the east under the blocking. For a short time it actually can favor something amplifying along the east coast. It won’t last, that’s why a lot of our storms are followed by a warm up not long after, but there is often a short period of opportunity as that AK trough sets up before the pattern goes to crap. 

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, jaydreb said:

Low heights in AK are never ideal, but the ridging on the west coast combined with a pretty good Atlantic side make that a nice look. There’s also a bigger piece of the TPV farther east. If that TPV was over AK...it would be suboptimal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Long term that AK vortex is a killer. It will try to flood zonal pac air across the conus. It can be fought off sometimes temporarily if you have good atl blocking but even then it’s a struggle. But oddly enough a lot of our snowstorms feature a trough near Alaska. That’s because there is a lag effect of several days to a week before that feature kills us. But in the meantime the short term effect often opens up a window of opportunity here if there is some atl blocking. As the ridge response to that AK vortex crashes into the west coast often there is a temporary downstream trough in the east under the blocking. For a short time it actually can favor something amplifying along the east coast. It won’t last, that’s why a lot of our storms are followed by a warm up not long after, but there is often a short period of opportunity as that AK trough sets up before the pattern goes to crap. 

Yep....

A window of opportunity,  although short.  looks to exist as you mention. Possibly even extended a couple of additional days. Afternoon EPS will be telling, looking for some consistency here. Your previous comments about the NAO domain and the Atlantic in general resonate some hope for us,  versus a highly positive NAO state. 

May not last as momentum falls in the coming days but -ve AAM (E'ly) anoms have popped up at 50N as highlighted by the green 'blob' - the troposphere is seriously not in the mood for producing W'lies/a zonal mid-latitude pattern at the moment & the sPV is getting knocked about...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic