Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

2 minutes ago, Fozz said:

It was right around this time last year when it became clear that 2019-20 was going to be a dead ratter.

We had a massive fake-out on model guidance progged for MLk day and beyond. Looked almost like a 2015 patter and then it utterly vanished in mode guidance after being there for like a week. 

Thats’s when I personally felt the winter was screwed. 

This winter is pretty weird. The NAO is still in doubt but theres sign it eventually helps out...and if t doesn’t, there are some signs that the PAC may improve around 1/10 and beyond. Who knows for sure though. This hasn’t been a good winter for LR forecasting.  Nobody saw the El Niño pattern coming from weeks out. 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Best east coast snowstorm pattern we’ve seen since January, 1996 right?

Who said that ? You are a troll. 

Take a break 

All I have seen on Twitter and other forums are a great pattern might be unfolding in January due to the Tellies and SSW lol

Really wish the CDC didn't go defunct processing these indices when the GFS' migrated to the expanded member ensemble system.

When that took place there was no funding to recursively migrate the the core algorithms used to calculate the EOF system ... I was told by personnel at CDC that they did not know when any funding would be made available.   Jesus, given to the tempo of the world affairs and judging by the Pandemic economy?  good luck!  It seems all these arms of the Government are destined to go to brown-out operatiions.  

Anyway, having multiple agencies assessing these indexes would do wonders to help in this situation.  ...Something leaped out at me this morning that I had been negligent, and I suspect others have been too... or perhaps just didn't/don't know to consider:

The AO prognostic intervals have become unusable -  as their curves are off-line by too much to assume they have much deterministic value.  All forecast intervals, D7, 10 and 14 ... The error is on the order of 2 SD (absolute value). I'm not sure if a "reset" of the system would fix this, or if it is more endemic/physical in the sense that the tech is what it is, and the atmosphere is just that complexly in a maelstrom.  I have seen the system rebooted ( for lack of better words ...) in the past, but I am not sure what/why, or if just huge embarrassing gap control in the prog vs verification curve is ever a reason to do so... But either way, this is pretty bad folks, (note, the bold curve is the verification, and the other is ens. mean)

ao_lie.thumb.jpg.715fa11013a46f68b60e35cd5be77e25.jpg

That has grown GINORMOUS in error frankly, and given to the persistence and continued widening gap there... the prog's predictive use/value is almost meaningless at this point. 

The following statement may be more science fiction ...who knows, but with the Holiday season and an air of uncertainty et al the status of the world.. .one must wonder if there is anyone even there at the office over the last 10 days to address that glaring gap. I wouldn't trust the AO progs at CPC.   Frankly, the NAO has a pretty bad error gap too -

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/pna/nao.sprd2.gif

and I would almost argue that because the flow is fast overall, ... it may be skewing these indexes because it mimicks the negative phase state to have massive jet velocities S of them ...but the regions are not really in a blocking mode ... just a supposition. 

Either way, these verified patternization and embedded features, and the operational versions ... they are all actually not a terrible fit for the verification curves we see above, in so far as the GEFs are concerned... And I suspect the EPS system may also be faltering ...as I have seen the NAO progs from them and they seem to mimick the GEFs... and neither is performing -..in fact, the curves are parting company at a 45 deg..  gross.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Powderboy413 said:

It’s over folks, come back next year 

I've said this before and I'll say it again. This is the most pessimistic forum I've ever been on. A lot of you guys give up on everything way to soon. Yea..last year ended up like crap and we were very dissapointed, but a lot of you are brutal, and even bullies at times to others. This is a forum to discuss what may be happening, not bittercasting that the future of this Winter is over. I'm very sure I'll have people comment on this post in a negative way, but I could care less. I am still optimistic about the rest of the winter. I will take a good February ( and even March when we have had some of our greatest blizzards ). With 2020 being such a " locked in the house " kind of year, this type of activity on the forum is supposed to be an enjoyable one. For anyone who disagrees, well then I have an entire ass you can kiss...lololol. To all those who are on here to discuss the prospects of something good and who are optimistic, I'm with all of you. Now... It is looking like we have some good possibilities in early January. Its not set in stone, but it is in the realm of possibilities. 

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I've said this before and I'll say it again. This is the most pessimistic forum I've ever been on. A lot of you guys give up on everything way to soon. Yea..last year ended up like crap and we were very dissapointed, but a lot of you are brutal, and even bullies at times to others. This is a forum to discuss what may be happening, not bittercasting that the future of this Winter is over. I'm very sure I'll have people comment on this post in a negative way, but I could care less. I am still optimistic about the rest of the winter. I will take a good February ( and even March when we have had some of our greatest blizzards ). With 2020 being such a " locked in the house " kind of year, this type of activity on the forum is supposed to be an enjoyable one. For anyone who disagrees, well then I have an entire ass you can kiss...lololol. To all those who are on here to discuss the prospects of something good and who are optimistic, I'm with all of you. Now... It is looking like we have some good possibilities in early January. Its not set in stone, but it is in the realm of possibilities. 

Sorry dad. :(  

• Haha 5

7 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

A lot were were pessimistic in January 2015 and then we got blitzed, pessimism is a good sign on this forum.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I prefer to talk science with reality...not stubborn optimism.

• Like 3