Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Euro did change a lot aloft though. It definitely made a step toward the less phased scenario even if t didn’t come all the way there. It wouldn’t take a whole lot more to bring the wintry scenarios into play.  

Check out 108h today vs 120h on the 00z run...notice up in Canada you see today’s run having a bunch of energy sheared out north of Lake Superior...that also causes the main trough to the south to become more elongated and positive tilted  

Lol, I think I've been agreeing with you over the last hour and didn't see your's/anyone else's posts..

I was just commenting that the GFS made a siggy whole scale change ...and I suspect we may be on the verge of just outright changing the landscape of that period of time... Dec 30 - ...I dunno the 4th... and it's not clear to me that whatever happens in there isn't multi staged, too... I could see this getting into a lull between type ordeal - ... These flat +PNAP flows that are fast... Really, the last thing was an anomaly relative to that to be honest.  Almost consider this uncharted waters -

I'd also encourage the tele user to pay attention to those annotations I made earlier - the AO/NAO are almost unusable presently at CPC

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Yea flip flops every LR model run, solid science

? We've said for days it's been getting worse on the guidance. The cutter occurred with 2 weeks notice. The Pacific has always sucked, and the Atlantic for the time being, has ridging where it is not favorable. Why would anyone give false hope and lie about what is coming? The next couple of weeks look rather unfavorable for anything due to all those circumstances. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

? We've said for days it's been getting worse on the guidance. The cutter occurred with 2 weeks notice. The Pacific has always sucked, and the Atlantic for the time being, has ridging where it is not favorable. Why would anyone give false hope and lie about what is coming? The next couple of weeks look rather unfavorable for anything due to all those circumstances. 

Might as well cancel winter then if things look unfavorable for next couple of weeks.

I guess the AO and NAO doesn't mean shit since the pattern looks like trash.

• Weenie 1

3 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Might as well cancel winter then if things look unfavorable for next couple of weeks.

It's all about where the anomalies are located. I hate those effing charts, because they don't tell the story. I never ever look at those. I need to see the H5 anomalies. 

Also, way too early to cancel. People are losing their shit because of the Grinch storm. Some of the interior already has 2 small snow events this month with a 10-15" storm in between. Well over their December snow climo. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Pacific is the cold water faucet. Atlantic is the drain. We need some cold running from the Pacific to get caught in the slow drain of the Atlantic. Unfortunately the slow Atlantic drain is draining warm water 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

You tossed the entire month of Jan this morning lol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

It's all about where the anomalies are located. I hate those effing charts, because they don't tell the story. I never ever look at those. I need to see the H5 anomalies. 

Also, way too early to cancel. People are losing their shit because of the Grinch storm. Some of the interior already has 2 small snow events this month with a 10-15" storm in between. Well over their December snow climo. 

He is above normal snow currently and nyc is at 10. Plenty of winter left. It just looks hostile for a few weeks. 

Um you told me no 10 11 coming. Of course with Jan 11 not starting to Jan 11 I assumed you had some science behind that

Ginxy, for Christ sake....Jan '11? :lol:   Yes, I'll toss that like a Cam Newton pick-6. But, that doesn't mean January is tossed. Tossing Jan means it's skunked. I'm not there yet. I'm tossing one of the most epic January's to happen. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ginxy, for Christ sake....Jan '11? :lol:   Yes, I'll toss that like a Cam Newton pick-6. But, that doesn't mean January is tossed. Tossing Jan means it's skunked. I'm not there yet. I'm tossing one of the most epic January's to happen. 

Well with a retrograding block, AO dropping to record levels, disturbed vortex I happen to think the potential for slow moving cold systems increase each week in Jan. Let the chips falls where the may.

• Like 2

Well with a retrograding block, AO dropping to record levels, disturbed vortex I happen to think the potential for slow moving cold systems increase each week in Jan. Let the chips falls where the may.

I'm not arguing later in the month...Perhaps that happens. But the first week...maybe even first half looks pretty nasty IMO. Maybe the NNE interior can make a run if that block does move more to the west. It doesn't mean we can't see snow, but when I look at the nrn hemi....I sure don't get the snowy vibes for SNE.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I'm not arguing later in the month...Perhaps that happens. But the first week...maybe even first half looks pretty nasty IMO. Maybe the NNE interior can make a run if that block does move more to the west. It doesn't mean we can't see snow, but when I look at the nrn hemi....I sure don't get the snowy vibes for SNE.

Like I said starting in week 2 the vibe in here changes. The day to day melts are great.  Shit already people who fell hook line and sinker for 168 hr progs are like wait things have shifted a bit today. So very typical 

• Like 1

Here is the other problem. Note the massive anomalies near Davis Straits. You'd think big block right? But look at the curvature of the height lines. Some subtle anticyclonic turning, but for those anomalies...you would expect more of a stout, deep ridge there....even in a smoothed out mean. I think the puke Pacific look is just pumping warm air into the normally cold parts of that area in Canada. The result are heights that are probably biased high due to warm temp anomalies vs actually a giant ridge. The temp anomalies are near +20F.  I don't doubt there are members with a ridge in the Davis Straits, but perhaps don't be fooled by those massive anomalies, as that may be more of a result of Pacific puke air. 

image.png.21cba9038fa696e8c38913491a8badc1.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, REH said:

Everyone is welcome to share their opinions. I am sure you have been wrong in the past. Weather forecasting is a very humbling business 

Yes, and I always admit that. But my job is to also not hide from something unfavorable and just spread optimism that is borderline inaccurate. I love snow as much as anyone, but the next two weeks look tough. I don't know what else to say. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yes, and I always admit that. But my job is to also not hide from something unfavorable and just spread optimism that is borderline inaccurate. I love snow as much as anyone, but the next two weeks look tough. I don't know what else to say. 

It’s because DT said last week end of December looked epic, weenies are detached from reality now

5 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

It’s because DT said last week end of December looked epic, weenies are detached from reality now

He was hyping the end of this month into January with a good pattern. To be fair , it wasn't  only him.

People thought this negative NAO and AO pattern was going to produce a great pattern.  Even people mentioned 2011.

• Like 1