Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

50 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Um you told me no 10 11 coming. Of course with Jan 11 not starting to Jan 11 I assumed you had some science behind that

48 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Ginxy, for Christ sake....Jan '11? :lol:   Yes, I'll toss that like a Cam Newton pick-6. But, that doesn't mean January is tossed. Tossing Jan means it's skunked. I'm not there yet. I'm tossing one of the most epic January's to happen. 

This is what we get when the weather sucks, Hate to see it.

• Sad 1

Yeah...no question ( Scott ) it was better oh.. 8 days back.

We had the 29th, and it looked good, ..based upon the relative slowing of the 70 N band ...giving the hemisphere an implied cyclonic gist - that's an intrinsic constructive wave interference pattern as a canvas ..blah blah.

what happens -  ... every cycle since has been further and further from that same complexion.  

It's like we've seen three patterns:  that one... then the shit in between, now there is a new semblance emerging perhaps last night into this morning.. Less conventional or 'mainstay' model types unraveling the multi stream phased look.   

I tell you one thing that's under the radar in all this.. That big Lakes cut and warm intrusion event over Xmas ..  those types of cyclones have a climate signal for preceding -NAOs... It is interesting that the runs 8 days ago seem to suggest one - only to fail.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

What were the indices on this date guys? Jan 13 2011

dwm500_test_20110113.gif

That's actually a decent PAC, look at that AK ridging. It's a classic massive poleward Aleutian ridge...-EPO/-PNA/-NAO pattern. The NAO is crucial there though for avoiding some cutters, but the PAC is keeping a lot of cold in Canada there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

To be fair, it looked better a week ago. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Here is the other problem. Note the massive anomalies near Davis Straits. You'd think big block right? But look at the curvature of the height lines. Some subtle anticyclonic turning, but for those anomalies...you would expect more of a stout, deep ridge there....even in a smoothed out mean. I think the puke Pacific look is just pumping warm air into the normally cold parts of that area in Canada. The result are heights that are probably biased high due to warm temp anomalies vs actually a giant ridge. The temp anomalies are near +20F.  I don't doubt there are members with a ridge in the Davis Straits, but perhaps don't be fooled by those massive anomalies, as that may be more of a result of Pacific puke air. 

image.png.21cba9038fa696e8c38913491a8badc1.png

And this 354 hr prog may look better a week from now, too, as far as the Pacific is concerned.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, tamarack said:

EPO/Machias payback for 2014-15?  I'm also skeptical about those low depths along the Frontier area from Jackman to St.-Pamphile, especially since the Allagash corridor a few dozen miles east is credited with 2-3 times as much.

Nice snowstorm in the Eastern Maine areas today

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

And this 354 hr prog may look better a week from now, too, as far as the Pacific is concerned.

Your missing my point. All these people talking massive -NAO are being head faked by warm temps making these heights look like a big block. It's not much of a ridge at all.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Your missing my point. All these people talking massive -NAO are being head faked by warm temps making these heights look like a big block. It's not much of a ridge at all.

My point was that the 354 hr prog you highlighted could look a lot different a week from now, that's all.

• Like 1