• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

December 25-26, 2002 is still THE Worst and most disappointing storm of my life.  I didn’t track storms then as a little kid so I didn’t know what was up so much.  Was pounding Snow at Christmas dinner at the grandparents, we left and when I got to bed we had 4” of perfect powder.  I then woke up to.........  

4” of Mushy Glop.  It must have gotten to 6”, and then changed over.  Extreme Disappointment, with Worcester getting like 18”.  THOUGH, that hardened and set a base that lasted in its Entirety through the rest of the winter, and certainly have the base for my Favorite Storm of a ll-time February 7, 2003.  

I was JUST YESTERDAY watching videos from that month!  The leftover of 12/25-26/02 before 2/7/03, then 2/7/03 and then PDII.  Incredible winter that was.  The first of my Tracking.  84”.  

28 minutes ago, TheSnowman said:

December 25-26, 2002 is still THE Worst and most disappointing storm of my life.  I didn’t track storms then as a little kid so I didn’t know what was up so much.  Was pounding Snow at Christmas dinner at the grandparents, we left and when I got to bed we had 4” of perfect powder.  I then woke up to.........  

4” of Mushy Glop.  It must have gotten to 6”, and then changed over.  Extreme Disappointment, with Worcester getting like 18”.  THOUGH, that hardened and set a base that lasted in its Entirety through the rest of the winter, and certainly have the base for my Favorite Storm of a ll-time February 7, 2003.  

I was JUST YESTERDAY watching videos from that month!  The leftover of 12/25-26/02 before 2/7/03, then 2/7/03 and then PDII.  Incredible winter that was.  The first of my Tracking.  84”.  

Forecast here for 12/25-26/2002 was 10-16".  GYX had 18, PWM 16, Augusta east (On Togus Pond) 15, Belgrade Village 8, and 12 miles NW of that last, 1".  Apart from the mid-November storm and 13.8" on 1/4-5, 2002-03 was cold and dry.  Season total of 67.8" is right at 75% of average.

1 hour ago, TheSnowman said:

I was 12 years old at the time in MD, and that was my second winter of tracking the weather. 2002-03 was nearly as good in the mid-Atlantic as it was in SNE, so I have all kinds of great memories of that one as well. I was actually out of town for the Christmas storm, which might be my one disappointment of the whole season, but I was told it delivered a quick 6-7" where I lived after changing over from rain.

And then PDII remained my all time favorite for many years. I was too young to remember 1996 well.

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

F’n brutal for CRV.  I was living up in North Leverett then and got 10-12” but working in Amherst and I don’t think they even got 2”. 

Yeah the gradient was insane. Just the perfect storm of conditions to create it.

That was the storm where I first learned that the CRV was not as good for snow as Worcester. I had always assumed they were just as good or even better because they were further west. But when I found out they hardly had anything in that storm, I started paying attention more to the totals out there going forward and it surprised me how often they had less. I wasn’t acutely aware yet of how relative terrain worked. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bristolri_wx said:

Does anyone ever look at the 768 HR CFS on Pivotal Weather?  Just curious if it's useful for anything.  I know the surface/qpf stuff would be useless, but wondering if upper air, 850 temps, is even in the ballpark on the long range....

My guess is it probably doesn’t beat climo...or if it does, just barely maybe due to some minor skill a month out in longwave patterns. 

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

We’re all concentrating on this week but the long range is really looking better and better.   

I was noticing this but figured I must be weenying because nobody mentioned it. Thanks Fella. We getting that xmas grincher though.