Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I'll say ... my source (PSU ...didn't bother to load Pivotal ) is on D5 and that is quintessential there - wow what a look coast to coast!  woa -

50/50 low, anchored fresh polar high on heel, deep MV anomaly with nowhere to go but S of us... and, you're right Will on this run - the Atlantic DOES look more blocky ... I guess it is East-based? not sure what opinions are there... but - if that's true it may change my visualization on matters ... 

Yeah it is a bit east-based....but it gets the job done. It does poke into the davis strait some. The 50/50 low is VERY potent though which kind of makes up for the NAO block itself being mediocre in stregnth (it's not like we have 560dm heights over Greenland here)...so the conglomerate Atlantic pattern together (both NAO block itself and the 50/50 low) acts as a potent block.

The main trough is already starting to go negative in the Mississippi valley which iswhy I think we want this Atlantic blocking

Dec11_12zECMWF120.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah it is a bit east-based....but it gets the job done. It does poke into the davis strait some. The 50/50 low is VERY potent though which kind of makes up for the NAO block itself being mediocre in stregnth (it's not like we have 560dm heights over Greenland here)...so the conglomerate Atlantic pattern together (both NAO block itself and the 50/50 low) acts as a potent block.

The main trough is already starting to go negative in the Mississippi valley which iswhy I think we want this Atlantic blocking

So without that block and 50/50, a negative tilt at H5 around the MS valley would normally bring another cutter and crappy rainstorm? Thank goodness for the NAO.