• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

The S/W as modeled moves in pretty far west compared to the SLP center. I know Will mentioned that. So two things. 

1) That will force the mid level goodies pretty far NW.

2) Maybe slow correction west of SLP? Seems to me, the SLP placement is driven significantly by the baroclinic zone, hence the offshore look on some guidance. Wouldn't take much at all to get it closer.

• Like 2

Just now, CoastalWx said:

The S/W as modeled moves in pretty far west compared to the SLP center. I know Will mentioned that. So two things. 

1) That will force the mid level goodies pretty far NW.

2) Maybe slow correction west of SLP? Seems to me, the SLP placement is driven significantly by the baroclinic zone, hence the offshore look on some guidance. Wouldn't take much at all to get it closer.

Yea, still not worried too much about a whiff. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Trying to time and space out features in an 'unmanned firehose' pattern - lol

I don't think this is the classic unmanned firehose given the Atlantic blocking....we have some good wiggle room. S/w wants to try and track 75 miles west? still going to run into the block and be forced underneath.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, qg_omega said:

UKIE is concerning, I thought it showed a whiff yesterday also?

IMO a whiff is more likely than a cut.  Forky and a few others feel otherwise however.  I think even if it "cuts" the system will be somewhat of a shredded POS and any type of S/W or system slamming into that high, even if it tracks inland from the coast might produce significant from end snows

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I don't think this is the classic unmanned firehose given the Atlantic blocking....we have some good wiggle room. S/w wants to try and track 75 miles west? still going to run into the block and be forced underneath.

I think he means fire hose relaying off of the Pacific....ie timing of the wave.

1 minute ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We may be able to have a white Xmas this year. Man would that be welcomed 

GFS/GEFS really looked better at 12z....hopefully that is a true change in the look...it's really asserting the NAO more than previous cycles. It's making the 12/20 system a legit snow threat now.

• Thanks 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think he means fire hose relaying off of the Pacific....ie timing of the wave.

Yeah i can see that...but I don't think that matters a ton in this situation...whether the wave is a little north or south or stronger or whatever, it still gets "funneled" into the same area because of the block.

I mean, that doesn't mean things can't go wrong...if the wave comes in really weak or something, then we might have major problems.

• Thanks 1

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah i can see that...but I don't think that matters a ton in this situation...whether the wave is a little north or south or stronger or whatever, it still gets "funneled" into the same area because of the block.

I mean, that doesn't mean things can't go wrong...if the wave comes in really weak or something, then we might have major problems.

Right....

There's obviously still a decent amount of lead time too. Plenty of chances to screw it up....but I do like tracking the systems better when there's a block like that. It feels a little less precarious. It's very similar to how I felt tracking the 1/12/11 storm. Had this awesome davis straight block and this deep shortwave just traversing the center of the county and it didn't seem to matter really how that shortwave trended because it got squeezed south of us every time. I remember that one basically being locked and loaded on the Euro for about 5-6 days.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

IMO a whiff is more likely than a cut.  Forky and a few others feel otherwise however.  I think even if it "cuts" the system will be somewhat of a shredded POS and any type of S/W or system slamming into that high, even if it tracks inland from the coast might produce significant from end snows

I will be honest Forky giving hints of rain scares me. He usually chimes in when he is confident. However he jokes a lot too so not sure if he is just pulling chains.