Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2020 Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

6 hours ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I think you need to be along the shores of the Persian Gulf to see those exotic 110/80 combo type airmasses and even then the dews drop off fairly quickly once you get away from the water. 

This inspired me to lookup the hottest rain event as I had a memory of it being set a couple of years ago.  119F in Imperial Valley.  Dew at the time was only 58.

https://www.wunderground.com/cat6/Hottest-Rain-Record-Rain-falls-119F-Imperial-California

This article says highest recorded dew was 95 in 2003 in Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.

https://wgntv.com/weather/weather-blog/ask-tom-why/what-are-the-highest-dew-points-worldwide-and-for-the-u-s/

It was supposedly 108 at the time, for a heat index of 178!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/07/30/iran-city-hits-suffocating-heat-index-of-154-degrees-near-world-record/

Back in 95, Appleton WI was 101/90 for a heat index of 148.i

https://www.wunderground.com/blog/weatherhistorian/record-dew-point-temperatures.html

I

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Yeah I think you need to be along the shores of the Persian Gulf to see those exotic 110/80 combo type airmasses and even then the dews drop off fairly quickly once you get away from the water. 

I've seen 98/88 at some sea level Iranian sites - HI about 140 or some ridiculous number.  And when winds are reported at 25 and the wx condition is "sand", must be lovely.

Might drop below 50 tonight at my place.  We average 6-7 sub-50 mornings for July, ranging 3 to 11.  This month has a chance to set a new low for such minima - month's lowest so far is 54.

1 hour ago, Typhoon Tip said:

We've been inside the box of this air mass for 18 hours and the tenor is awe at our autumnal plight or something... 

Talk to me 2:45 Sunday afternoon ... days like today are normal

12 degrees off a normal high isn’t normal but isn’t rare in July but Sunday afternoon plus 10 is?

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’re a fake then. You don’t welcome breaks. You’re off the team 

I'm outside a lot doing projects. I enjoy the heat and dews, but yeah....a break now and then is just fine.  Just like in winter....it doesn't have to be -10 every day. 20s is just fine.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I'm outside a lot doing projects. I enjoy the heat and dews, but yeah....a break now and then is just fine.  Just like in winter....it doesn't have to be -10 every day. 20s is just fine.

Winter is about snow . No one other than Metherb (who Dendy won’t even email to ask if he’s coming ok) wants bitter cold. As long as it snows if it’s 31.9 everyday , people are fine with. No one relishes a break on snows with rains and. Torches. In summer all we’ve got are tenps and dews and tstorms. So if you don’t have first two, won’t have the third. Plus, no one likes wearing jackets at night where it’s 80 and as soon as sun goes down it plummets. That’s a summer no one wants. No breaks 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Winter is about snow . No one other than Metherb (who Dendy won’t even email to ask if he’s coming ok) wants bitter cold. As long as it snows if it’s 31.9 everyday , people are fine with. No one relishes a break on snows with rains and. Torches. In summer all we’ve got are tenps and dews and tstorms. So if you don’t have first two, won’t have the third. Plus, no one likes wearing jackets at night where it’s 80 and as soon as sun goes down it plummets. That’s a summer no one wants. No breaks 

You don't need dews for storms all the time. Yesterday had dews within a couple of 60F and hail all over because of the cold pool. 

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

12 degrees off a normal high isn’t normal but isn’t rare in July but Sunday afternoon plus 10 is?

I meant normal as in not terribly unusual yeah colder than normal duh 

Maybe one standard deviation below normal which is like what we call “normal colder than normal” if that makes sense

39 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Dews were near 60 in Maine with those hailers, temp dropped to 52. 

• Like 2