• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Enera
    Newest Member
    Enera

July 2020 Discussion

17 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I saw that a place in Colorado achieved a daily record low temp and daily record high temp on the same day July 10

https://www.denverpost.com/2020/07/11/alamosa-colorado-record-high-low-same-day/amp/

It also happened 3 times at that location back in August 2002. 

Until the Chester, MA records were determined to be invalid, that site held the state's high (107 on 8/2/75, tied with New Bedford) and low (-35, 1/12/1981) records.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Body surfing delight.

I was in ocean city MD yesterday.. what one of the best body surfing days in a long long time. Bermuda high did its thing with some 9 second southerly swells.  

I did a family vacation in south Florida for the fourth of July and I forgot just how flat the water is down there.  A lot of the beaches were closed, we paid for a few Catamaran/ Snorkeling trips to get out on the water.  

Waves beat Clear water any day of the week!!! 

8 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

I was in ocean city MD yesterday.. what one of the best body surfing days in a long long time. Bermuda high did its thing with some 9 second southerly swells.  

I did a family vacation in south Florida for the fourth of July and I forgot just how flat the water is down there.  A lot of the beaches were closed, we paid for a few Catamaran/ Snorkeling trips to get out on the water.  

Right on! 

29 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Lawn and garden gonna need watering. Droughtstein returning.

Its summer, rain comes from Thunderstorms and instability.  Hit or miss. EPS looks pretty normal for rain. 

download (8).png

33 minutes ago, 40westwx said:

Waves were pretty good at Ogunquit yesterday.

49 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Until the Chester, MA records were determined to be invalid, that site held the state's high (107 on 8/2/75, tied with New Bedford) and low (-35, 1/12/1981) records.

Imagine if that happened on the same date? Lol.  
Hot Saturday! And Cold Saturday in one date

Of course that Colorado record is not the al time state record but pretty neat

On 7/1/2020 at 12:26 PM, klw said:

Not Kuchera but Euro overnight was not bullish for snow over the next couple of weeks.

Just an update to say this verified 100%!  Looking forward Euro continues to not be optimistic about our snow chances and run to run consistency has been high in this regard.

sn10_acc.us_ne.png

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1

24 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Last day of using the central air for a bit. Liking this week. 

Yea this week we can open some windows and enjoy the dry

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

Low Levels sure. Overall upper air is from west. Not really a door . But it will keep it in the low - mid 80’s with dews 60-65 for a day or two agree 

How is that not a door? And I'd be surprised if the STEM doesn't have a day below the 80s.

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Low Levels sure. Overall upper air is from west. Not really a door . But it will keep it in the low - mid 80’s with dews 60-65 for a day or two agree 

The only time the upper air winds are out of the east is like a massive bomb with big U-Wind anomalies.  Otherwise, flow is always some sort of westerly component.

Im not sure your post makes sense.  Low level easterly flow is what a door is.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dendrite said:

How is that not a door? And I'd be surprised if the STEM doesn't have a day below the 80s.

Isn’t the cold front moving NW to SE? Doors typically move NE to Sw right? 
I’m sure Wednesday may stay under 80, but as GYX noted on morning AFD there’s not much cool air to the NE. More importantly I don’t see dews falling below 60 in SNE. Do you? 

Euro/GFS at 925 and the 12z NAM loop of 850s. Notice the source region and the winds backing and advecting those cooler temps in from osumetstud.

925th.us_ne.png

GFSNE_925_temp_054.png

12Z-20200713_NAMNE_850_temp-0-84-10-100.gif

And yeah the GFS and EC aren't as cool...we'll see if they trend cooler at 12z or if the nam is just its usual synoptically challenged self.

3 minutes ago, dendrite said:

And yeah the GFS and EC aren't as cool...we'll see if they trend cooler at 12z or if the nam is just its usual synoptically challenged self.

At any rate this week we lose the mank and that's all that matters.  Sunny and 80s with low dews is summer at its finest.  We take before we bake. Or we wake and bake 

23 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Is there any hope for the tropics next few weeks .

No, nothing stands out. There’s still too much SAL/stability in the MDR, which isn’t terribly surprising at this point in the season. 

The season so far has been dominated by homebrew (Caribbean, Gulf, W Atlantic) systems, and looking at the SST breakdown over time you can see why. Best anomalies have been centered further west, which has been the case the last few years. The MDR on balance has been fairly warm though, despite a recent cooling period. 

The MDR will pick up though, probably in alignment with the historical steepening of Atlantic activity after August 20 and shift in ridging that so far has allowed for dramatic SAL intrusions. There have been strong waves coming off the African coast in response to a favorable pattern over Africa and points east. No reason to believe we won’t see an active peak. The 500 pattern is interesting too, but let’s see where we are in a month. 

• Thanks 1

Looks refreshing here:

Tuesday
A chance of showers between 8am and 10am, then a chance of showers and thunderstorms after 10am. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78. Calm wind becoming northeast around 5 mph in the morning. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch, except higher amounts possible in thunderstorms.
Tuesday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers and thunderstorms before 9pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 60. North wind around 5 mph.
Wednesday
Partly sunny, with a high near 74. North wind around 5 mph.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 58.
Thursday
Partly sunny, with a high near 75.
Thursday Night
Mostly cloudy, with a low around 62.
Friday
A 30 percent chance of showers after 2pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 78.
Friday Night
A 30 percent chance of showers before 8pm. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 64.

Yeah GFS is meh on heat the rest of the work week...especially for ENE. Over the top shot of heat first into NNE on Saturday and then days and days of torch for all. Of course it's pushed back to d7+ again though. :lol:

10 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah GFS is meh on heat the rest of the work week...especially for ENE. Over the top shot of heat first into NNE on Saturday and then days and days of torch for all. Of course it's pushed back to d7+ again though. :lol:

Shitty year thus far for those that are looking for consistent 90+ for days on end