• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

I wonder when that happened. The cell by me was throwing bolts from the blue well to the N and W of it. I almost hope that was when it happened, because there would have been ample time if it was from the cells that scooted south along 128 a little while later. The golfers should have been aware of that. 

Just now, CoastalWx said:

I wonder when that happened. The cell by me was throwing bolts from the blue well to the N and W of it. I almost hope that was when it happened, because there would have been ample time if it was from the cells that scooted south along 128 a little while later. The golfers should have been aware of that. 

The better courses generally set off a horn to stop play. Not positive but I don’t think all courses do which leaves the decision up to the players but sometimes it’s like, “last hole or last shot” mentality which is also based off whether or not it’s raining yet. But we knw lightning can strike without rain. Not everyone does. 

11 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Many times golfers get hit by a rogue bolt and storms are 5-10 miles away.

sometimes those are positive strikes from the anvil, much more powerful and deadly than the more usual negative CG strikes (although anvil strikes are not the only way to get positive CG strikes)

18 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

The better courses generally set off a horn to stop play. Not positive but I don’t think all courses do which leaves the decision up to the players but sometimes it’s like, “last hole or last shot” mentality which is also based off whether or not it’s raining yet. But we knw lightning can strike without rain. Not everyone does. 

I thought they had to have those LTG detection systems that stops play? I didn't know it was course dependent. 

5 minutes ago, MJOatleast7 said:

sometimes those are positive strikes from the anvil, much more powerful and deadly than the more usual negative CG strikes (although anvil strikes are not the only way to get positive CG strikes)

That's terrifying... sometimes those things pop up out of no where in these air masses.  They happen surprisingly quick too.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

That's terrifying... sometimes those things pop up out of no where in these air masses.  They happen surprisingly quick too.

I had that happen a couple of times. I was on my deck a couple of summers ago watching a storm maybe 5-7 miles away. It was sunny here. All the sudden I saw some thing that looked like a bright sliver of light through the trees. I remember thinking no way was that LTG. Not a second later..boom! I couldn't believe it. It was looking into the sun too...so it was weird..like a narrow sliver of something very bright compared to the sun. 

44 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Hate to see that. Sometimes you don’t have anywhere to initially hide on the course but you would hope an early enough warning would be sent out. 

Not commenting on this lady but I’ve seen people ignore thunder and stay in the course or get mad when the horn blows calling them off the course.  It’s stupid. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Not commenting on this lady but I’ve seen people ignore thunder and stay in the course or get mad when the horn blows calling them off the course.  It’s stupid. 

Not much protection on a lot of courses either. Kind of wide open mostly. If you’re walking too you can’t even use the cart for cover.

38 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

After getting caught in a thunderstorm on Crawford Path, attempting to summit Mount Washington, never again will I get caught stuck out in a t-storm.  Pretty petrifying.

Got caught in a storm heading down the Tuckerman Ravine trail a few years back.  Fortunately we were able to race down below treeline before it hit, but still pretty damn scary.  Can't imagine what it was like further up on the rock pile.

Looks like this stratus in eastern sections will be a little stubborn. There's a boundary setup across the middle of New England from NNW-SSE with E/NE flow to the east and SW flow to the west. The 6z 3k NAM keeps S NH in the 70s all day. That convergence zone may be a focus for some convection later on today...maybe DIT up northward to the NH/VT border?