Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
June Discussion

RUNNAWAYICEBERG

1 hour ago, HimoorWx said:

Got caught in a storm heading down the Tuckerman Ravine trail a few years back.  Fortunately we were able to race down below treeline before it hit, but still pretty damn scary.  Can't imagine what it was like further up on the rock pile.

I got stuck with my wife about 500 ft from summit on monadnock with severe overhead. Was able to quickly hunker down under a large rock... Not sure what I would have done had I not found that...Hail, high wind, CG lightning. Will never forget the sound of the thunder rolling through the valley. Just awesome. Wife was terrified. And she didn’t even know at the time that we were literally the highest point within a 100 miles. I was scared, but probably more fascinated than anything once I found that rock to crouch under. It was a looong 10 min though...Rain nearly flooded us out of our shelter too...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I got stuck with my wife about 500 ft from summit on monadnock with severe overhead. Was able to quickly hunker down under a large rock... Not sure what I would have done had I not found that...Hail, high wind, CG lightning. Will never forget the sound of the thunder rolling through the valley. Just awesome. Wife was terrified. And she didn’t even know at the time that we were literally the highest point within a 100 miles. I was scared, but probably more fascinated than anything once I found that rock to crouch under. It was a looong 10 min though...Rain nearly flooded us out of our shelter too...

I had almost that exact same experience on Monadnock 15 years ago.  Scary.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Storms started early today.  Ignition was like following a topo map of the Spine and then just drifting eastward.

I mean seriously, it must be nice. You precipitate with any wind direction. You're pretty much guaranteed convection. Maybe in 200 years Tippy's Hadley Cell bakes you under a subtropical ridge in the summer, but it's a pretty lush place to be in this lifetime. The only iffy spots I guess are the NEK and DDH, but even they tend to benefit from some convection near the higher terrain.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Storms started early today.  Ignition was like following a topo map of the Spine and then just drifting eastward.

Was about to say that we have missed everything at my house but just looked out and my deck is slightly wet.  Thunder all around for the last hour or so.  Yesterday, the rain stopped less than a half mile away.