• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    jammcohr
    Newest Member
    jammcohr

February 5-7 Wintry Mess Potential

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

As you might expect, uneven distribution outside of VT.  Bretton Woods got 6-8” yet Cranmore and Attitash reporting 2-3”.  

Cannon reporting 7-8” but only 4” at Waterville. 

SR was 8-10 total Sugarloaf only 6”. 

N Conway area has been the snow hole of NNE this year. 

Part of the reason is that a good part of our 7 or so inches were from upslope; but as I've mentioned in some threads Conway has gotten really screwed this year. They get no upslope and in several events their low elevation has meant rain. Never seen anything like it down there! Just a bad bad year for everyone but locally even worse for them. And their ability to retain the pack doesn't help when nothing is falling 

58 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

AWT nice

Yeah had about 13" at home on 1.58" water.  3,000ft ended with 19".

The most picturesque snow I've seen in town in a very long time.  Just a heavy QPF dump that stacked on everything from power lines to trees and street lights.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah had about 12" at home on 1.58" water.  3,000ft ended with 19".

The most picturesque snow I've seen in town in a very long time.  Just a heavy QPF dump that stacked on everything from power lines to trees and street lights.

Awesome,  need that meat, looks very active up there

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Awesome,  need that meat, looks very active up there

Ha you were fast.  I fat fingered that.  It was around 13" here.  I rushed out this morning but there was an additional inch on my car from when I left this morning from when I shoveled at 11pm.

Some of the hardest snowblowing I’ve done in a long time. Ended up with 9” or so from both parts. The thick crust in the middle was a bitch. The snowblower would ride on the crust and then break through so I’d have to back up and go through again. Pretty out and wintry looking. 10F

11 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My driveway yard and parts of our road are insanely icy.     

Took a drive this morning and the freezing rain line for Thursday night was up around 900 feet or so here.  The very top of the hills surrounding Greenfield are white but it’s only for maybe 50 to 100 feet.

47 minutes ago, mreaves said:

Some of the hardest snowblowing I’ve done in a long time. Ended up with 9” or so from both parts. The thick crust in the middle was a bitch. The snowblower would ride on the crust and then break through so I’d have to back up and go through again. Pretty out and wintry looking. 10F

Same here, with some of the same issues.  Blower would hit crust and wheels would dig a hole, requiring a backup, and as there had been a lot of ice on the driveway pre-storm, occasionally my feet would slide sideways adding to the fun.    Usually takes about an hour or so to clear a 10-12" storm with equivalent LE but this 5" one took just under 2, most time needed since needing 3 hours to clear the Jan 27-28, 2015 blizz, which had 2.17" LE compared to 1.09" from this one.  That storm was 9:1 sand and had 12 hours of settling before we got back from SNJ but it also had no crust.

2 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

From my daughter in upstate NY near the Canadian border 

received_771260586702595.jpeg

received_190342372050463.jpeg

Deep winter up there...so close and yet so far for us.  Having snow pack helps the maple season and this cold is helping producers down here.

Lol at the redo over the driveway. Kept breaking through as well. Told my wife I wouldn't be long....

3 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:
5 hours ago, mreaves said:

Lol at the redo over the driveway. Kept breaking through as well. Told my wife I wouldn't be long....

Same. Two passes just about covered it except where I had to drive over it to and from work. Better than a sheet of ice though.

We got several hours of freezing rain after about 5 cm (2 inches est) snowfall before it turned to rain and got upto 48 (+9) degrees but it did not melt all the ice and the snow as it was a quick warm-up followed by a quick cold shot.  Currently sea effect snow, with a few cm or a 1-2 inches on the ground.

On 2/7/2020 at 1:03 PM, klw said:

Just starting to get a few fat flakes now.

There is a good 1/4 inch ice on everything.  It really is just a matter of time until the power goes out.

Sure enough we ended up losing power a little after 3pm .  We were out for about 23 hours.  

We ended up getting 3.5 inches more after the changeover to give up 7.5 inches plus the ice.  Branches down up and down our road.  I will have to go into our woods to see what that looks like but may wait until the ice melts off the trees first.

Got a few pictures but the camera battery died

From yesterday before the change:

IMG_2123 alt.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alex said:

This storm left some really nice scenery with the sun now poking out

475E2C4B-A4B0-4F52-A8AF-AA9C214E0D6A.jpeg

Beautiful, heading up to your hood next weekend, glad its going to look like winter. Heading over the PowderFreak land two weeks after that, glad there's winter somewhere in New England.