Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

6 hours ago, butterfish55 said:

Yessir... yesterday, today and maybe one other good day earlier this month. Last month was my highest producing January in the 6 years I've had the panels on my roof. This will easily be the lowest February.

And last month was my cloudiest of 22 Januarys here.  We had measurable snow on 18 days but 1"+ on only 3 as all those clouds didn't produce much snow.  February has been cloudier than average as well though yesterday and today are bright.

Any of you weenies know where I can find a roll of plastic material similar to what they use in these airpot planters? I know there's dimpled drainage products out there.

https://cdn11.bigcommerce.com/s-4jyra1dl3p/images/stencil/1280x1280/products/1325/1729/H07__11227.1573838916.jpg?c=2&imbypass=on&imbypass=on

The closest I could find from a box store was from Menards.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/insulation/foundation-insulation-coatings/superseal-5-0-x-65-6-dimpled-foundation-membrane/sm50150/p-1444444226423.htm

Yeah, I'd have to drill my own holes, but I'd save a lot of money and could make the pots whatever size I want. Something with holes already in it would be even better.

7 hours ago, MetHerb said:

One year I tapped when it was pretty cold (single digits/teens) and I don't know if I was putting the taps in too hard or the fact that I put the tap in while it was cold and I had a few trees develop vertical cracks.  Just want to avoid that again!

We might have a shot next weekend with that cold shot for a colder reading but you might be right...this morning might have been our coldest, that's for sure.

Hit 1.4 here this morning for the low. You must have been colder in the elevated valley .

42 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Hit 1.4 here this morning for the low. You must have been colder in the elevated valley .

Actually it only dropped to 1 here.  If we don't drop below zero next weekend, we might go the whole winter without dipping below zero.  Wouldn't be the first time but just shows how mild it's been.

Brr

NOUS41 KCAR 151811
PNSCAR
MEZ001>006-010-011-015>017-029>032-160611-

Public Information Statement
National Weather Service Caribou ME
111 PM EST Sat Feb 15 2020

...LOW TEMPERATURE REPORTS...

Location                     Temp      Time/Date       Provider

...Maine...

...Aroostook County...
Aroostook River (Masardis)   -36 F     0400 AM 02/15   USGS
Estcourt Station             -35 F     0415 AM 02/15   HADS
3 NNE Caribou                -34 F     0720 AM 02/15   NWS Employee
Westfield NERON Site         -33 F     0445 AM 02/15   HADS
Presque Isle Airport         -32 F     0556 AM 02/15   AWOS
Big Black River              -31 F     0200 AM 02/15   USGS
1 E Houlton                  -30 F     0700 AM 02/15   AWOS
3.2 W Fish River Lake        -28 F     0655 AM 02/15   HADS
Grand Isle                   -28 F     0646 AM 02/15   CWOP
Madawaska                    -28 F     0610 AM 02/15   CWOP
Fort Kent 1 SE               -27 F     0618 AM 02/15   COOP
Grand Isle                   -27 F     0601 AM 02/15   CWOP
Clayton Lake                 -27 F     1116 PM 02/14   AWOS
Connor Twp                   -27 F     0600 AM 02/15   CWOP
Limestone USCRN Site         -26 F     0400 AM 02/15   HADS
Dickey                       -25 F     0145 AM 02/15   HADS
Caribou                      -24 F     0354 AM 02/15   ASOS
0.5 SE Nine-Mile Bridge      -24 F     1215 AM 02/15   USGS
1.2 E Island Falls (RAINWISE)-22 F     0645 AM 02/15   MESOWEST
Oxbow NEPP Site              -22 F     0215 AM 02/15   HADS
Monticello                   -20 F     0708 AM 02/15   CWOP
Linneus                      -20 F     0701 AM 02/15   CWOP
1.2 E Island Falls (RAINWISE)-20 F     0600 AM 02/15   MESOWEST
E Eagle Lake                 -18 F     0635 AM 02/15   COOP
Monticello                   -18 F     0553 AM 02/15   CWOP
Linneus                      -17 F     0600 AM 02/15   CWOP
Presque Isle 1 ENE           -15 F     0700 AM 02/15   UCOOP
Frenchville Airport          -14 F     0553 AM 02/15   ASOS
2 ENE Smyrna Mills           -13 F     0130 AM 02/15   AWS
Soucey Hill                  -11 F     0400 AM 02/15   MEDOT
Bridgewater                   -9 F     0600

9 hours ago, BrianW said:

Looking forward to another sunny day.  Going to be one of the worst months for solar production. Yesterday was the first decent sunny day this month. Solar panels run way more efficient on cold clear days. Heat significantly lowers efficiency.  

Screenshot_20200215-082131_SolarEdge.jpg

Mine are covered with snow. 

29 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

My friend Devin lives in Wasatch county in Utah which is the mountain range and he just broke 400 inches today. It has been snowing all winter over there.

Amazing

You posted the same thing in the New York and Philly subs... why doesn’t the upstate NY/PA group get the same love?

• Weenie 1

For all the bad winter talk, this is shaping up to be a pretty spectacular school vacation week got visitors up here. Not too cold, no rain and no crazy warm weather, and great conditions. Only drawback is that we are slammed - but people don't seem to mind the crowds. Everyone's been commenting on the awesome conditions 

17 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

tomorrows rain (snow there? gidlt) puts a damper on it, but one day at a time.

GYX thinking 3-5 last period, aft AFD not posted when I checked 5 minutes ago.  If that verifies, it will probably be at peak rate in the 4-6 PM window.  Haven't had a seriously snowy commute yet this winter.

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

I can't wait till we rate this winter, there's gonna be 100Fs, a few Cs and D from north country and one A.

Anyone wanna venture a wild guess who the A will be from?

If you're gonna use letters, whats your criteria for each one?  Are we only talking about met winter or the entire snow season? 

Could we use the AWSSI which uses actual numbers and puts different locations into their respective percentiles?  At least you could compare different sites, it's not subjective and it includes all the different criteria of winter weather like temperatures, snowfall and snow depth.

1 minute ago, MetHerb said:

If you're gonna use letters, whats your criteria for each one?  Are we only talking about met winter or the entire snow season? 

Could we use the AWSSI which uses actual numbers and puts different locations into their respective percentiles?  At least you could compare different sites, it's not subjective and it includes all the different criteria of winter weather like temperatures, snowfall and snow depth.

The grading winter thing is not my idea, ive participated and seen them over the years here on the forum.

And i think it should be a subjective thing because its a personal experience to everyone and there's so many factors. Making it based on hard data and climo sites would just be boring. I mean, we arent doing it for anything much more than entertainment and to talk about it, it's something just for fun.

I believe it was always based on the entire snow season for the northeast, whenever the first and last snow was, not met winter. 

• Like 1

Is it too late to hand out the syllabus with the grading criteria for this course?

A big chunk is seasonal snowfall

Cold

Pack depth

Pack retention

# of storms.  Possibly number of warning events?  

Extra credit for things like thundersnow, WINDEX events, tornadoes, frost quakes

weenie away

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Is it too late to hand out the syllabus with the grading criteria for this course?

A big chunk is seasonal snowfall

Cold

Pack depth

Pack retention

# of storms.  Possibly number of warning events?  

Extra credit for things like thundersnow, WINDEX events, tornadoes, frost quakes

weenie away

so far for me, all above criteria are F

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 1