Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

51 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

For a flu like illness that disproportionately effects the sick and elderly the worst? Hype much?

Didn't some otherwise healthy Chinese doctors die from it? I understand your point, but there does seem to be a good number of healthy people succumbing to it which receive hospital treatment as soon as symptoms arise. It's not like the flu deaths where many of the victims stay at home to recover and they take a turn for the worse before getting admitted to the hospital.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

For a flu like illness that disproportionately effects the sick and elderly the worst? Hype much?

Why do you always do this? I’m in global supply chain so I see the impacts firsthand, on the world stage...not just the elderly or vulnerable. It’s not media hype or scare tactics. Look at Italy now admitting they were not prepared because they thought it was NBD/hype...now they are behind. It’s always good to stay ahead and be proactive over a reactive NBD thought process. The media isn’t always out to get you. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Why do you always do this? I’m in global supply chain so I see the impacts firsthand, on the world stage...not just the elderly or vulnerable. It’s not media hype or scare tactics. Look at Italy now admitting they were not prepared because they thought it was NBD/hype...now they are behind. It’s always good to stay ahead and be proactive over a reactive NBD thought process. The media isn’t always out to get you. 

it's obviously a liberal plot to take down Trump.  Come on man...

I'm a capitalist too and my international work is cancelling or I'm cancelling it because I don't want to be caught in a fookin quarantine.  The CDC and the WHO are raising the alarms, but we shouldn't pay attention to that.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

it's obviously a liberal plot to take down Trump.  Come on man...

I'm a capitalist too and my international work is cancelling or I'm cancelling it because I don't want to be caught in a fookin quarantine.  The CDC and the WHO are raising the alarms, but we shouldn't pay attention to that.

I work with Chinese suppliers and ground truth is...they say it’s bad. First hand knowledge, not fake media. There has been improvement but it’s still a uneasy situation so this idea that it’s another hype driven story is nonsense. Only those who are comfortably sitting in their rocking chair think otherwise.

16 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I work with Chinese suppliers and ground truth is...they say it’s bad. First hand knowledge, not fake media. There has been improvement but it’s still a uneasy situation so this idea that it’s another hype driven story is nonsense. Only those who are comfortably sitting in their rocking chair think otherwise.

Is it any worse than SARS, or the Avian Bird Flu,  or H1N1, or Ebola?  I'm honestly asking..and I'm not saying it's not.  I mean Ebola is one of the scariest diseases imo...is this on that level?  Is it any worse than our own Flu that kills 10's of thousands of folks alone each year in the US?  I think these are honest questions to ask?  

20 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Is it any worse than SARS, or the Avian Bird Flu,  or H1N1, or Ebola?  I'm honestly asking..and I'm not saying it's not.  I mean Ebola is one of the scariest diseases imo...is this on that level?  Is it any worse than our own Flu that kills 10's of thousands of folks alone each year in the US?  I think these are honest questions to ask?  

Not anywhere near as severe as those in terms of mortality. But you never know how these things evolve and mutate. It’s worrisome, and it is disrupting the  supply chain which is a big deal. And it is interrupting the global economy in significant ways. It looks like the mortality rate is only about 2 to 3% which if that maintains it would be good. But the downside is that it travels well because no symptoms show for five days and it seems to be spreading rather quickly.

jist go to a legit news source like NUT or WSJ or the CDC or WHO directly.  As far as I can tell Trump hasn’t fired the CDC director yet but I’m sure he’s thinking about it

24 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Worse or not worse is not the point. This is the problem when folks make blanket comparisons and when it’s not ‘worse’ then we should just disregard it as another hype driven pandemic scare. This is real, it’s here, you will most likely not die from it (the mortality rate is low, around 2% at the moment)..but anyone in business or has money in the market will be affected. Whether or not you want to ignore it is dependent on one’s life/career, that’s fine. But someone who always chalks up such events as NBD again and again is simply disconnected. 

6 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Not anywhere near as severe as those in terms of mortality. But you never know how these things evolve and mutate. It’s worrisome, and it is disrupting the  supply chain which is a big deal. And it is interrupting the global economy in significant ways. It looks like the mortality rate is only about 2 to 3% which if that maintains it would be good. But the downside is that it travels well because no symptoms show for five days and it seems to be spreading rather quickly.

jist go to a legit news source like NUT or WSJ or the CDC or WHO directly.  As far as I can tell Trump hasn’t fired the CDC director yet but I’m sure he’s thinking about it

I should also say that the mortality rate is much higher than the typical flu virus.

6 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Worse or not worse is not the point. This is the problem when folks make blanket comparisons and when it’s not ‘worse’ then we should just disregard it as another hype driven pandemic scare. This is real, it’s here, you will most likely not die from it (the mortality rate is low, around 2% at the moment)..but anyone in business or has money in the market will be affected. Whether or not you want to ignore it is dependent on one’s life/career, that’s fine. But someone who always chalks up such events as NBD again and again is simply disconnected. 

We shall see. Sorry you do so much business with China though.

• Weenie 1

1 minute ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

OK. Don’t even what this means. Have a blessed day sir.

Means I am sorry you are affected by trade due to the virus.  In fact my response to Hazey had to do with health insurance. You and Mahk drove it into global trade somehow.  Hazeys post was hyping the need for good health insurance due to an illness that causes flu like symptoms in 98 % of the population.  

7 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually, mortality rate is currently in the 3% range overall but it varies by country and fluctuates. For example, as of 2/26, South Korea 55% , Iran at infinity (19 deaths out of 19 cases), France 18%, Japan 9%. 

Best to stay educated by reading scientific reports rather than social media.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/coronavirus-fatality-rates-vary-wildly-depending-on-age-gender-and-medical-history-some-patients-fare-much-worse-than-others-2020-02-26

23 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Actually, mortality rate is currently in the 3% range overall but it varies by country and fluctuates. For example, as of 2/26, South Korea 55% , Iran at infinity (19 deaths out of 19 cases), France 18%, Japan 9%. 

Iran has a 14% rate. Where did you get this stat

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/why-iran-s-reported-mortality-rate-coronavirus-higher-other-countries-n1142646

• Weenie 1

32 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Those high percentages probably are a result of gross under-reporting of confirmed cases.  100% mortality in Iran?  55% in S. Korea? - zero credibility.  That said, the mortality rate appears to be an order of magnitude higher than that for the seasonal flu.

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

Those high percentages probably are a result of gross under-reporting of confirmed cases.  100% mortality in Iran?  55% in S. Korea? - zero credibility.  That said, the mortality rate appears to be an order of magnitude higher than that for the seasonal flu.

Again, calculating mortality rate can be misleading because confirmed cases vs deaths is not always accurate. Confirmed deaths vs confirmed recoveries is a better indicator, to an extent. So Iran has zero confirmed cases of full recovery...hence the high percentage. 

I'd be real cautious in accepting numbers (for any statistic) from a country where government totally controls the media.  China also controls media but things have gone so far there, and they're so economically connected with the rest of the world, that it was in their self-interest to be more open with this issue.

• Thanks 1