Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

51 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

46F.  The beat goes on as far as+ departures go.  Coming up on 2 weeks now of + with only 1 day in there below.  Only 7 days below normal since Jan 1st.  And tack on anther 10 days to end December above normal.  So over a 45 day span, 1/2 of Winter, only 16% of that days have averaged below normal.

At least it's not a 2010 repeat (yet) when I had 46 straight AN days in Feb-Mar  and 64 of 67 AN thru April 13.  JFMA, averaged +6.  That's significant for a single month, bizarre for one-third of a year.

On 2/3/2020 at 7:44 PM, dendrite said:

A bit of a MOS battle in spots tomorrow. I haven't followed the EC a lot so I'm curious how it fares...

ICAO NAM/GFS/ECM
CON 35/39/43
BDL 44/48/52
ORH 43/45/48
BED 42/45/50

Verification time...

CON 42
BDL 48
ORH 46
BED 47
Looks like a blend of the MAV/EC would've been a good forecast.

• Weenie 1

22 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

Foster RI, higher up and further inland than Sterling or whatever averages mid 50's or thereabouts. The vast majority of East central CT averages 40-50, which is what I am concerned with.

Foster isnt higher than Sterling in fact just a half mile up from me is 725, again you know nothing about NECT climo

On 2/3/2020 at 8:59 PM, Ginx snewx said:

I don't see anyone trolling in summer like he does. Sorry he adds absolutely nothing to this forum.  Just an asshole if you ask me

I agree. He has nothing better to do all day. He reminds me of someone I worked with years ago. He was always trying to stir the pot at work. Eventually the company made the decision to shit can him. He tried defending himself by claiming everything he said was in jest, much in the way he does by claiming he isn,'t trolling and trying to aggravate people.  People like him always claim innocence about their actions. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I can wait for heat and humidity. Hate the combo and last Summer was awful. The PLS restricts my breathing and humidity makes it worse.

we can compromise. solid 85/65s with few excessive heat outbreaks, if any. But also no faux early fall cool shots. Good old fashioned summer wx wire-to-wire jja. Deal?

2 minutes ago, Dr. Dews said:

we can compromise. solid 85/65s with few excessive heat outbreaks, if any. But also no faux early fall cool shots. Good old fashioned summer wx wire-to-wire jja. Deal?

I want the early Fall cold shots. The Fall foliage needs it. That's the only thing that saved the season in 2019. It's suffering from global warming. I'm not on here during the Summer anyway. Wasn't last year. Summer weather is boring.

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Everyone shakes there head about how bad this winter has been and rightfully so, But when you have guys boiling sweet water to make maple syrup in early Feb, You know temps have been above normal.

Yeah and I should have tapped a couple of weeks ago.  Most large producers start tapping in January because they have so many to tap and modern technology allows the tap hole to last longer than it ever did so it's not like you have to tap at a certain time.  I wish I was ready earlier and could have but as it is I'm tapping now.  Hopefully things hold out.

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah and I should have tapped a couple of weeks ago.  Most large producers start tapping in January because they have so many to tap and modern technology allows the tap hole to last longer than it ever did so it's not like you have to tap at a certain time.  I wish I was ready earlier and could have but as it is I'm tapping now.  Hopefully things hold out.

Its fickle to say the least, Could have a long season, Could have a short one, But like he said, Can't make up for what time you lose once the sap changes in the tree.

1 hour ago, dryslot said:

Its fickle to say the least, Could have a long season, Could have a short one, But like he said, Can't make up for what time you lose once the sap changes in the tree.

Fickle for sure.  In 1981 CAR was 14.5° AN for the month of February, with the 10 days 16-25 all at least +20 and averaging +26.  Blew away the season?  The week after the equinox featured absolutely cloudless skies, calm winds, mornings of low singles to low teens and afternoons 40 to 50.  The sugaries couldn't boil fast enough, and a year-plus later they were still selling '81 product (at the best price I ever paid for syrup.)