Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

10 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Ugh. NWS BOX needs to figure out KBOS. At least it wasn’t a bogus #1 like July 2019 but when you literally have a 2-2.5F head start, it’s not going to take long to get another bogus #1. 

They are just going to pile up and be a completely useless climate site unless they figure it out. 

Maybe there was a permanent change on the airport site that just renders it useless. I don’t know. It’s not matching any of the mesonet sites around the airport and it certainly isn’t matching the other first order climate sites. 

They've been doing a lot of repaving and additional construction there but idk how that would have any impact on it.

Increased jet traffic? Idk. Very frustrating to say the least

29 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Lower elevation than the Presidentials but seen from the south, with no serious peaks in the way, I think it's the most impressive peak east of the Rockies

I’ve never seen it but from the photos, I’d agree.  Looks relatively flat around it for great, impressive vistas.   Looks like something out of Montana.

32 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Lower elevation than the Presidentials but seen from the south, with no serious peaks in the way, I think it's the most impressive peak east of the Rockies

I was thinking almost the same. Mansfield from Burlington has the same, nothing else in the way so it’s pretty impressive too but the extra 1000’ or so on Katahdin kicks it up a notch. I’m sure PF or JSpin have a shot from that angle. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I’ve never seen it but from the photos, I’d agree.  Looks relatively flat around it for great, impressive vistas.   Looks like something out of Montana.

My son only turned on his ride tracking app halfway through our ride today after we had gone around it on what they call the Tote Road. From Matagamon Wilderness Camps back to Millinocket, the highest elevation we saw something like 985’. I’m sure it was somewhat higher earlier in the ride but I don’t know if we ever got to 1500’. That means Katahdin shoots up 4000’ from the surrounding area. It looms over you at times. Really beautiful area. 

27 minutes ago, mreaves said:

My son only turned on his ride tracking app halfway through our ride today after we had gone around it on what they call the Tote Road. From Matagamon Wilderness Camps back to Millinocket, the highest elevation we saw something like 985’. I’m sure it was somewhat higher earlier in the ride but I don’t know if we ever got to 1500’. That means Katahdin shoots up 4000’ from the surrounding area. It looks over you at time. Really beautiful area. 

Yeah it's solidly much more impressive than Mansfield.  That extra 1000ft is what, 20% more height and being further north in latitude the tree-line is lower.  Add in much more proximity to the Canadian Maritime climate than any other New England mountains, with tons of wind.  That harsh landscape is what really makes the vibe there.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Carrabassett Valley area is pretty amazing too.   The Bigelows, especially when viewed from the N (Flagstaff Lake) are quite impressive.

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Is there any online weather data from the summit?

I wondered about that too. I haven’t found anything yet. It’s a more wildernessy feel here compared to the Mt. Washington area. Of course Baxter State Park is like 200,000 acres of wilderness and there are no ski areas anywhere nearby. 

Just now, mreaves said:

I wondered about that too. I haven’t found anything yet. It’s a more wildernessy feel here compared to the Mt. Washington area. Of course Baxter State Park is like 200,000 acres of wilderness and there are no ski areas anywhere nearby. 

Didn't there used to be a ski area up by Moosehead Lake?

8 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's solidly much more impressive than Mansfield.  That extra 1000ft is what, 20% more height and being further north in latitude the tree-line is lower.  Add in much more proximity to the Canadian Maritime climate than any other New England mountains, with tons of wind.  That harsh landscape is what really makes the vibe there.

This may sound a bit out there but it reminds me of pictures I’ve seen of Alaska. Denali shoots up out of lower surrounding land. Obviously a much grander scale and I’ve never been to Alaska but it feels a little like that. 

The Moosehead and Baxter state park areas of Maine make the white mountain national forest feel like Manhattan. 

I haven’t been yet, but even deeper into the Allagash backcountry up there north and west of BSP and you’re starting to get into one of the most isolated places in the CONUS...only the least populated areas of the west could challenge.

I’m sure tamarack has been deep into those woods more than many. Some of the resident snow mobilers like dryslot too maybe. 

1 hour ago, mreaves said:

Definitely no weather equipment at the top permanently (maybe one off research projects at times). Closest you'll get is weather data from Chimney Pond ranger station, and even then I don't think any of it is online in a timely fashion.

51 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m not sure. Moosehead remains to be checked on my Maine Must See list. 

Moosehead is definitely starting to get into that zone where the trees are all a little smaller and you start to feel like you're getting towards the edge of the Earth. I can only imagine what the tundra of Quebec must look like.

12 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Moosehead is definitely starting to get into that zone where the trees are all a little smaller and you start to feel like you're getting towards the edge of the Earth. I can only imagine what the tundra of Quebec must look like.

I’m not sure what PQ is like past Jackman but it is a shocking change when you cross the border up in Pittsburg NH. You feel like your at end of the world, cross the border and look out over flat forest and farmland. 

Buying a car is still kind of the worst though. Although, this experience wasn’t as bad as others.

was able to get money off the price and more for my trade with some negotiation... mostly done online.

Finance guy was kind of a dink after I declined all warranties they offer, (which were like half the price of the truck in some instances). My guess is a lot of the money he makes is tied to that 

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I’m not sure what PQ is like past Jackman but it is a shocking change when you cross the border up in Pittsburg NH. You feel like your at end of the world, cross the border and look out over flat forest and farmland. 

I've always thought getting a cabin on a lake up in PQ for a week would be a very relaxing vacation. 

1 minute ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Buying a car is still kind of the worst though. Although, this experience wasn’t as bad as others.

was able to get money off the price and more for my trade with some negotiation... mostly done online.

Finance guy was kind of a dink after I declined all warranties they offer, (which were like half the price of the truck in some instances). My guess is a lot of the money he makes is tied to that 

It is, they make a lot of money selling those warranties. Little known fact, if you happen to buy one (don't) and you get rid of the vehicle before the warranties up you get a refund of the remaining time.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

It is, they make a lot of money selling those warranties. Little known fact, if you happen to buy one (don't) and you get rid of the vehicle before the warranties up you get a refund of the remaining time.

Yeah, my last vehicle I purchased a warranty, I was kind of inexperienced and the whole process seemed to be rushing along and I thought I really needed it. Cost me like 3000 and I never used it, not once, before it expired.

I said no to everything on this one. It’s certified pre owned and I have like 40+k left on the power train plus some additional warranties that come with a gmc certified pre owned. It isn’t worth it.

Not sure how reputable a number this is, but I’ve seen after doing some research that those finance folks can take anywhere from 25 to 50! Percent of the cost of the warranty home. That shows you how useless they are, half the cost is just a commission basically.

He was pretty bad at hiding the fact that he wasn’t happy

34 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I've always thought getting a cabin on a lake up in PQ for a week would be a very relaxing vacation. 

I have a friend who goes riding up in the Saguenay and he says it’s beautiful. I’ve done so little exploring in PQ other than Montreal. I’ve really have to do more

12 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I have a friend who goes riding up in the Saguenay and he says it’s beautiful. I’ve done so little exploring in PQ other than Montreal. I’ve really have to do more

I'm now looking up how feasible trips to Torngat and Gros Morne would be from Maine. :lol: