Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2020 New England Banter and General Obs

CapturedNature

56 minutes ago, tamarack said:

11-12?  Many folks got their biggest snow from the Octobomb, and though it was kind of a bust here (12-16 verified as 4.5" of 5:1 mush) our biggest was on Nov. 23.

Yeah... I was considering that one, although for me personally, I got around half of my seasonal snow for that year in October, then the rest later, so it was a slightly different distribution.

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Yeah... I was considering that one, although for me personally, I got around half of my seasonal snow for that year in October, then the rest later, so it was a slightly different distribution.

'96-'97 is the closest to what you're thinking of....very little snow after the double barreled Dec 6-8, 1996 dump until March.

Can't really think of any other examples....it's generally too hard to NOT run into a few good snow events during the rest of winter. 1968-1969 had all kinds of snow in Nov/Dec early on, but then a total dud January with almost nothing....but then an epic stretch began again with the Lindsay Storm on Feb 9-10, 1969.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

'96-'97 is the closest to what you're thinking of....very little snow after the double barreled Dec 6-8, 1996 dump until March.

Can't really think of any other examples....it's generally too hard to NOT run into a few good snow events during the rest of winter. 1968-1969 had all kinds of snow in Nov/Dec early on, but then a total dud January with almost nothing....but then an epic stretch began again with the Lindsay Storm on Feb 9-10, 1969.

Thanks

Did '96-'97 also have an Alaskan pig?

You know what's one thing I've never heard mention of this winter...is PDO. In fact, haven't heard much on PDO recently. I am out of the loop with it...although I am trying to get back into long-range aspects but is the PDO not really a tool used like it once was? I'm sure the PDO has had to have some type of influence on the pattern...

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

2005-06 was a good example here - 45.0" thru Jan 31 then 7.8" after.  Less applicable farther south where the mid Feb dump hit.   The 12 months Feb 06-Jan 07 brought 26.9", only 30% of average.  (Then Mar 07 thru Feb 08 had 178", not quite twice the average.)

6 minutes ago, tamarack said:

2005-06 was a good example here - 45.0" thru Jan 31 then 7.8" after.  Less applicable farther south where the mid Feb dump hit.   The 12 months Feb 06-Jan 07 brought 26.9", only 30% of average.  (Then Mar 07 thru Feb 08 had 178", not quite twice the average.)

LAte Jan '97 and early Feb '97 were quite good up there so you guys didn't get the big break we got in '96-'97 winter....I know that because we went up to Sunday River a lot that winter as my cousins grandfather (on the side I'm not related to) had a house in North Waterford. I saw the snowpack gradient very sharply in southern maine as one drove inland. I recall a ton of snow being added to the pack between MLK day and then when I went back on 2/16. There was about 2.5-3 feet on the ground when we got there in the mid February trip....and up at Sunday River it was probably 4-5 feet on the level once above about 2k feet.

43 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

LAte Jan '97 and early Feb '97 were quite good up there so you guys didn't get the big break we got in '96-'97 winter....I know that because we went up to Sunday River a lot that winter as my cousins grandfather (on the side I'm not related to) had a house in North Waterford. I saw the snowpack gradient very sharply in southern maine as one drove inland. I recall a ton of snow being added to the pack between MLK day and then when I went back on 2/16. There was about 2.5-3 feet on the ground when we got there in the mid February trip....and up at Sunday River it was probably 4-5 feet on the level once above about 2k feet.

It was lots better where I live now than where we were then in Gardiner - Farmington co-op recorded 83" Jan-April while Gardiner co-op only 43 though we did a little better 3 miles south and 130' higher. 

17 hours ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Can't wait until next year so when our 30-year temp average we measure our anomalies against changes and we gets rid of the 80's. I guess that'll make our LR outlooks more bearable when they show warmth

It’ll be funny if we end up with a “cooler” decade and 75% of the years end up BN. The hype will be global cooling. 

I don't want to muck up the Feb thread anymore but going back to what Scott was saying earlier about the warming oceans this is pretty insane. Small sample size being used of course but here's a list of the three previous weak EL Nino's and three weak EL Nino's from the 1970's

image.thumb.png.5f74614406a7acf9d193269bcbaa3403.png

Here is moderate

image.thumb.png.81694e11a511c3b31fee7210ae7b8229.png

One thing to keep in mind though is not taking into account the phase of the PDO/AMO. IIRC the AMO was negative in the 1970's as was the PDO. AMO has been positive since the mid 1990's. 

9 hours ago, Ginx snewx said:

Oh geezer look Bos is 2 degrees warmer than PVD again, wonder why

I mean look at the other top 4 years there....all the same for each site...1913, 1932, 1933, and 1937. Then 2020 comes in at #3 for BOS, #8 for PVD, and #10 for BDL and ORH. Something is definitely wrong.

Ugh. NWS BOX needs to figure out KBOS. At least it wasn’t a bogus #1 like July 2019 but when you literally have a 2-2.5F head start, it’s not going to take long to get another bogus #1. 

They are just going to pile up and be a completely useless climate site unless they figure it out. 

Maybe there was a permanent change on the airport site that just renders it useless. I don’t know. It’s not matching any of the mesonet sites around the airport and it certainly isn’t matching the other first order climate sites.