• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    ChicagoGuy
    Newest Member
    ChicagoGuy
2019 Mid-Atlantic Severe Wx - General Discussion

Kmlwx

Great looking storm though nothing really noteworthy in upper NW. Some good wind and the obligatory 3-min cloudburst. As often the case some good stokes and booms even as the western sky is clearing.I thought I might have heard some hail as I was driving back from my vantage but it was pollen-size if it was and thus pretty much indistinguishable from raindrops. But the storm did have a great look— best I’ve seen in a while, I know that’s totally subjective but I,ve always been into weather for the aesthetics and the theater of it: great shelf cloud, a lot of green tint (maybe that’s why I had an audio-llucination of “hail”), some profound CG off to the distance. Looked particularly nasty as I looked due north from Ft Reno; no surprise as central MOCO seemed to have this one’s beam on it,

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
400 PM EDT Thu May 23 2019

DCC001-MDC003-009-017-031-033-VAC013-059-153-510-232015-
/O.CON.KLWX.SV.W.0095.000000T0000Z-190523T2015Z/
District of Columbia DC-Anne Arundel MD-Montgomery MD-Calvert MD-
Prince Georges MD-Charles MD-Arlington VA-Fairfax VA-
Prince William VA-City of Alexandria VA-
400 PM EDT Thu May 23 2019

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 415 PM EDT
FOR THE DISTRICT OF COLUMBIA...SOUTH CENTRAL ANNE ARUNDEL...
SOUTHEASTERN MONTGOMERY...NORTHWESTERN CALVERT...PRINCE GEORGES...
NORTHERN CHARLES...SOUTHEASTERN ARLINGTON...SOUTHEASTERN FAIRFAX...
AND SOUTHEASTERN PRINCE WILLIAM COUNTIES AND THE CITY OF
ALEXANDRIA...

At 359 PM EDT, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from Lanham-Seabrook to Camp Springs to Montclair, moving
east at 50 mph.

These are very dangerous storms.

HAZARD...80 mph wind gusts and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated. At 347 PM EDT, a wind gust to 68 mph was
         reported at Reagan National Airport.

IMPACT...Expect considerable damage to trees and power lines. Your
         life is at significant risk if outdoors. In addition to
         some trees falling into homes, wind damage is possible to
         roofs, sheds, open garages, and mobile homes.

Locations impacted include...
Arlington, Alexandria, Waldorf, Dale City, Bowie, Clinton,
Springfield, Fort Washington, Langley Park, Fort Hunt, Groveton,
Forestville, Huntington, Largo, Coral Hills, Bladensburg, La Plata,
Fort Belvoir, Shady Side and Chesapeake Beach.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Remain alert for a possible tornado! Tornadoes can develop quickly
from severe thunderstorms. If you spot a tornado go at once into the
basement or small central room in a sturdy structure.

For your protection move to an interior room on the lowest floor of a
building.

Northern Virginia 105,967 customers out
Alexandria 10,044    
Arlington 34,799    
Clarke 191    
Fairfax 45,865    
Fairfax City 1,405    
Falls Church 2,284    
Fauquier 192    
Loudoun 4,156    
Prince William 167  

It just passed thru Glen Burnie on the north end and it was pretty garden variety here.  Some wind but nothing too serious and some heavy rain.  Got some lightning but again nothing more than they typical summer storms.  Sounds like the real stuff was to the south.

23 minutes ago, Kmlwx said:

This is reminiscent of the "classic" solid lines of storms that some of us have discussed as being less common than in the 90s and earlier 2000s. 

I always just thought I was crazy for thinking this. It’s so rare that we get these classic, quick squall lines anymore, yet I remember them being a sort of regular occurrence when I was a kid.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Tater Tot said:

I always just thought I was crazy for thinking this. It’s so rare that we get these classic, quick squall lines anymore, yet I remember them being a sort of regular occurrence when I was a kid.

Same here, I swear in Columbia in the 90s we would get those lines all the time and hail was a lot more frequent as well.  Up until last year I think it had been 8 or 9 years since I had seen a good hail storm at home.  I guess some of those little quirks of climate change.

8 hours ago, high risk said:

The CAM solutions are a bit mixed, mostly based on how they evolve the ongoing OH storms.    The "good" CAM solutions have storms forming on the outflow of that system (or least some sort of remnant boundary) and rolling through here during the 3-5pm timeframe or so.   Mappy correctly notes that getting some good heating would help a ton, and most guidance makes that happen.      The shear definitely supports some supercells in addition to line segments, although I think it's more of a hail/wind day than a tornado day.

This post aged fairly well.     :P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

For Northern Delaware the incoming line dissapated, maybe a trace of rain at my location.  What a dissapointment. 

Looks like Philly got hit and you guys from Baltimore SW got it good. So then continues the now growing dry spell for the majority of the Northern 1/3 of the Delmarva.    

52 minutes ago, supernovasky said:

What are our chances at a round 2?

Probably nothing.  Not that there was even a round one up here.  Just a quick shower and one, yes one rumble of thunder!  Big NON event here and we were solidly in enhanced whereas y'all to our south got legit severe.

Tons of damage here in Columbia. Took a ride back to my old neighborhood because I saw the worst of the velocities pass over and found trees into houses and many roads impassable due to several massive trees across the road. Trying to upload some pictures as I was let inside the house before it was officially condemned. This was by far the best storm in fairly recent memory - possibly since  the derecho. 

1 minute ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

Tons of damage here in Columbia. Took a ride back to my old neighborhood because I saw the worst of the velocities pass over and found trees into houses and many roads impassable due to several massive trees across the road. Trying to upload some pictures as I was let inside the house before it was officially condemned. This was by far the best storm in fairly recent memory - possibly since  the derecho. 

Got a text from a friend leaving his office near Ellicott City.  He sent me a pic of the ramp at 32 and 100 with a tree blocking everything except the shoulder.  Looks bad.  Stay safe out there!  Lots of trees can still fall after the storm, been there done that!

3 minutes ago, AmericanWxFreak said:

This was by far the best storm in fairly recent memory - possibly since  the derecho. 

That is saying a lot. Remember that like it was yesterday. Sounded like a freightr train for a good 15 minutes , took down countless 50 to 200 feet Pines on the road in front of our development. Took many days to recover in regards to tree clean-up, and getting power to those who did not have underground electric hook-up. 

Interesting the enhanced area today,  to a degree today fizzled,  where as the slight risk become the real deal. Maybe the heating, and more sun, not sure.