Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

EPS shows the real deal though.  

There's a huge difference between this EPS snow map and any other this season...namely there's a northern drop off.  Every other EPS run all season increased snowfall well into Canada as you go north as so much energy has been lifting well NW of us.

This one is a more coastal look than anything we've seen this season, as there's no southern Canada snow from some Great Lakes primary:

IMG_2369.thumb.PNG.6d5d2ee3f1636718994814df2d84c725.PNG

I like that look.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

06z EPS is gung ho for Monday. So much in fact that it's giving ptype issues to SE areas...but given they are kind of the NW outlier at the moment, it's not the worst thing  

IMG_2548.PNG

How would the winds be with this storm. That’s a really nice look. Any chance we get a blizzard out of this or is it more of a low forming off a frontal passage?

1 minute ago, WEATHERMINATOR said:

How would the winds be with this storm. That’s a really nice look. Any chance we get a blizzard out of this or is it more of a low forming off a frontal passage?

That's every 2mb on those maps that have isobars so it looks windier than it would be versus the standard 4mb increments. 

If we can get it to bomb out then it's possible but I wouldn't expect massive winds right now. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

06z EPS is gung ho for Monday. So much in fact that it's giving ptype issues to SE areas...but given they are kind of the NW outlier at the moment, it's not the worst thing  

Very clear from looking at fuzzy clustering that the EPS members overwhelmingly the ones supporting a low tucked closer to the coast. 

The concept of the 'unmanned fire hose' is being hinted among the guidance, ...some more so than others.. 

The GFS is really flopping around from run to run in its middle range, placing features up or down in latitude by some 500 to as much as 1000 km of variance from what I'm seeing. Its done this since last November (really) .. but it appears enhanced as a behavior over the last 10 cycles or so. Ultimately rattling its longer term shaky confidence even more.  As an aside ... both the 00z and 06z GFS operational runs hint at interesting events when just observing the synoptic evolution at 500 mb.  But the surface solutions that go along with are horrible ...  I wonder if its notoriously egregious ongoing consummate error in planetary boundary layer thermodynamics, ultimately related fluid mechanics, ... are causing lows to bias too far on the polar side of cyclonic surface arcs.  That's speculative... but whatever the cause, it's so bad that the Government really should be sued.  There's also a tendency for them to "cover-up" what I feel was a bad release - I think its possible that someone f-ed up and integrated bad BL subroutines in there and this has been a cover-up the whole way ...but I like that kind of conspiracy shit.  Ha.  Seriously, this model just can't wait to get lows polarward at least excuse imaginable in mid and extended ranges, and given a little more realistic boundary layer resistance in the form of actual cold air ( ... holy shit! imagine - ), some of those wave translations overall might be more interesting.  Yet ... that's if they even exist!  If all that error wrangle were not enough, it's got mechanics in there that the other models don't even have.   Oy -  

The Euro is bit more stable, but it seems to be almost as inconsistent not so much for "where" ... but "what" to track. Its dropped some wave spaces/identifiable features in lieu of (maybe) better coherency to focus upon... If one did not know any better, they could almost see the model's correction scheme causing that, by desperately ablating the "noise" in while processing ... running out there into chaos and trying to substantiate others.   Kinda cool actually...   Namely, it seems to be most stable with the March 6-9 period of time.  It's got some of these other minoring ordeals too... despite all that.  

Through all these.. regardless of model, it's pretty clear to me that they all suffer to some degree by the fact that we have a strong -EPO structure (observed and empirically measured), yet heights from Baja California to S of Bermuda still think it's September 2018.  The end result is a scream fast wind flow that is making it a hostile environment for individual S/W to operate on the flow and do much.  It's the main reason why the Euro's biggest event in that 10 days of its run is a big fat broad open wave rocketing a -12 to -18 mb/hr deepener from DCA to NF in 20 minutes!  The EPS is all over that though... but it too has more of the open wave variety ...owing to much of this. 

• Like 1

Probably not unsurprisingly those members that keep it close to the coast also keep the mid level baroclinic zone closer to the coast, and have more ridging at 500 mb to our east. 

Maybe more interestingly is that those members also have weaker/further SE systems for the weekend (maybe because a stronger system would drive the baroclinic zone farther SE as well).

11 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

We can watch from the nosebleeds like we have been. Better seats next season.

I was just looking at Maue's seasonal snowfall analysis for this season, man it is sad around here....The seasonal number's map for the southern half of CT looks like a snowfall forecast for typical big storm over the past 10 years...perspective/regression I guess

Just now, Whineminster said:

Sooo 4" Saturday, 6" Monday for you guys.  It snows where it wants to snow I guess. 

Its possible, Still a few days out so there could be changes either way, I don't think we would see two large events, Going to depend on what happens with the first one to where the second one ends up anyways.