Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March Disco

40/70 Benchmark

1 minute ago, WinterWolf said:

So the EPS doesn't show the big storm on Monday like the OP shows??  The EPS shows the big storm on Saturday/Sunday???    Is that right?   

Yes and no.  It has Monday’s event but the spread is about 700 miles either direction.  It’s about the biggest spread you can possibly have 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yup . Early spring this year despite Ginx saying this morning it was nowhere to be seen. We’ve got about 16-20 days and then it’s shorts every day 

Less than that pal, The 12th of March is only two weeks from today.  So you have two weeks and then it's over if after the 12/13 of March things Flip.

6 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Perhaps ... but, as of last check with NCEP... there's only recently ( ... like, this month) El Nino

Prior to, there never has been ...  I mentioned this several weeks ago, that it was delayed?  Over these recent several months, at no time had it been abundantly clear... well, actually even suggested really, that the SST/ENSO had sufficiently coupled with the atmospheric circulation medium over the Pacific ... to assume any forcing was/were taking place. 

That all = El Nada  ...haha.  

As of their most recent publication on Feb 19 they are now saying that the pattern of convection and wind anomalies are more consistent, so that coupling may have finally taken place.  The idea that the GEFs ensembles lose it though...getting deeper in to March?  I'm not sure either a, if that's rushing a change that is probably going to be slow to evolve seeing as it is now more anchored in that coupled state... or b, normal climo on "weak" warm ENSOs and spring may show that these things terminate quickly in March ... I dunno the latter though. 

I don't really care about the fact that NCEP hadn't officially designated in and of itself . Once we pass that arbitrary threshold of five consecutive tri monthly ONI readings above +0.5, the period will be considered el nino in hindsight. I think the fact that its been poorly coupled, as evidenced by the weak MEI numbers, is really the point.

Agreed.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Why? The EPS is favoring the closer time frame....that is good if you ask me.

Guidance is struggling over which wave to focus on, but I would rather have stronger support for a closer time frame.

Exactly, Lets get this one to produce and worry about monday after.

Just now, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Everyone is different.....no need to get into this debate.

It would be nice to get a bonafide warning event.

Based on your assessment, Nobody other then Freak and NNE has seen a significant event this winter, And that includes here, Nothing close to 12".

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Based on your assessment, Nobody other then Freak and NNE has seen a significant event this winter, And that includes here, Nothing close to 12".

If you want to do this, at least quote me correctly.

I said 12"+ is "big  leagues".....not significant.

6" of snow is certainly significant....moderate is significant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

6" of snow is certainly significant.

Then i misread what you said, But there has been no "big leagues" other then where i mentioned and significant ones have been far and few, One in Nov, Two in Jan and on in Feb here, And a bunch of nickels and dimes.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Then i misread what you said, But there has been no "big leagues" other then where i mentioned and significant ones have been far and few, One in Nov, Two in Jan and on in Feb here, And a bunch of nickels and dimes.

Really? You have 70" of snow on the year with "nickle and dime" events while us southern NE coasties have been teased and tortured all year. I would normally prefer a big dog too but in a year like this one I'll take whatever I can get

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

Really? You have 70" of snow on the year with "nickle and dime" events while us southern NE coasties have been teased and tortured all year. I would normally prefer a big dog too but in a year like this one I'll take whatever I can get

What did he say that was wrong?

51 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

6" of snow is certainly significant....moderate is significant.

I've always termed snowfall in my AFDs as light (1-3), moderate (3-6), and heavy/significant (6+). I agree once we hit 12+ I start pulling out words like major.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I mean we really haven't had a closed mid level low pass SE of us this season, so it's hard to not call it nickel and dime. Not quite the same story for the mountains and CAR.

The closest we came was 1/20, but that was a terrible forecast regionally and ended up well below forecast amounts.

38 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'll second the nickels and dimes.  Despite my total being way ahead, and just tenths shy of equaling my full-season average, I've had the same number of 6"+ events as you - the only difference is that I had 2 in November and 1 in January.

And the 1980s were great for the half-decade in Fort Kent, with the latter half in Gardiner having its moments, mainly in 1987. 

1 minute ago, tamarack said:

I'll second the nickels and dimes.  Despite my total being way ahead, and just tenths shy of equaling my full-season average, I've had the same number of 6"+ events as you - the only difference is that I had 2 in November and 1 in January.

And the 1980s were great for the half-decade in Fort Kent, with the latter half in Gardiner having its moments, mainly in 1987. 

Any recollection as to what you got in April 1987?

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Nothing really. At first it came off as little bit of complaining about not getting a BIG coastal this year while still having a good count this year.

I wasn't trying to be rude either, just my type of conversation that probably translates better in person than in typing. My apologies.

That's what climo does for you sometimes. Good numbers in an overall bad year