Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 1, 2019 Clipper Snow

WxUSAF

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has mby at 7 degrees when the snow arrives around 7am . I'm thinking no way that happens but then I checked the 3k and Hderps and they're not a lot warmer .3k is 13 at onset and Hderps is 10 . Now that would be some cold smoke or

pixie dust lol.

HRR 2m temps have been about 3 to 5 degrees too cold with this air mass.  I've been seeing a lot of posts on Wx Twitter about how the HRRR de-couples the atmosphere too quickly and has a cold bias with 2m temps.

NWS likes my area for another 1-3 out of this. If it happens what an outstanding two week stretch of winter this has been. Since no one posted the advisory for us western folks here it is:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Baltimore MD/Washington DC
327 PM EST Thu Jan 31 2019

MDZ003-502-VAZ028-WVZ050>053-055-502-504-010430-
/O.NEW.KLWX.WW.Y.0009.190201T1100Z-190201T2000Z/
Washington-Central and Eastern Allegany-Frederick VA-Hampshire-
Morgan-Berkeley-Jefferson-Hardy-Eastern Grant-Eastern Mineral-
327 PM EST Thu Jan 31 2019

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM TO 3 PM EST
FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulation of 1 to 3 inches.
  The highest amounts will be near the Allegheny Highlands and
  Mason-Dixon Line. The steadiest snow is expected between 7 AM
  and noon Friday.

* WHERE...Portions of north central and western Maryland,
  northwest Virginia and the eastern panhandle of West Virginia.

* WHEN...From 6 AM to 3 PM EST Friday.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...The hazardous conditions will impact travel
  with snow covered and slippery roads.

Just now, losetoa6 said:

Yep ...I've heard that as well but the other mesos are pretty freakin cold . Low teens would be fairly  rare even 

It's possible that it could be right tonight for the wrong reasons.  We have fresh snow, clear skies and light winds tonight so it could verify pretty close.  

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Hrrr has mby at 7 degrees when the snow arrives around 7am . I'm thinking no way that happens but then I checked the 3k and Hderps and they're not a lot warmer .3k is 13 at onset and Hderps is 10 . Now that would be some cold smoke or

pixie dust lol.

I looked at various soundings. Def not going to be big fluffy dendrites. Crystals and dust from what I can tell. Doubt it will be high ratios. Omegas are weak and the DGZ is down all the way to 900mb at times. Could be winter's version of low clouds and drizzle. Lol. You prob have the best chance at an inch or more tho. 

14 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

I looked at various soundings. Def not going to be big fluffy dendrites. Crystals and dust from what I can tell. Doubt it will be high ratios. Omegas are weak and the DGZ is down all the way to 900mb at times. Could be winter's version of low clouds and drizzle. Lol. You prob have the best chance at an inch or more tho. 

Makes sense. My bars haven’t worked out all week but here in east Balt County I guess I’ll put it a 0.5”  for this one 

6 minutes ago, Kleimax said:

My prediction is a lot of virga, maybe get a dusting

That is my thoughts as well.  Not expecting more than flurries due to the dry air.  But I will be happily surprised to see more.  Hoping Baltimorewxguy gets his biggest snow of the week, which might just be a dusting.

• Like 1

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic