Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

nj2va

30 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

That look up top and in the PAC is great. If the run went out another 72 hours I have no doubt a trough would develop. But now we need that look to hold and start moving closer in time. 

Weak trough on the means is just smoothing with the spread. A number of decent height patterns on this panel.

f360.gif

Since i started to melt today it would be perfect irony if tonight marks the beginning of a shift towards a better pattern and this time it holds into the med range. Lol

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

My problem with LR models is that they have a trough forming in western Europe when the +PNA appears -- not going to happen (European trough). There is also something happening beyond ENSO climo that is pushing the trough north in the Pacific, -PNA in verification. A lot of times when the upper latitudes are favorable and the EC has above average, it doesn't adjust for the indexes. The NAO signal is really bad right now, strong +NAO, with no signs of moderation. Any -AO/-NAO would be inorganic Stratosphere caused "just appearing", not really a favorable position. A lot of times January repeats in February. 

Things will change and we continue to move forward.

Strong - NAO coming 

Back to the Atlantic troposphere, that block formation near the UK is getting the green light from the strat above. Once the Pacific to N. America flow slows down and buckles, the direction of wave breaking in the Atlantic will shift equatorward. That's when the NAO tanks.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

I know its rain verbatim but sure pretty to look at . This storm has been 5 days out for 3 days.  It keeps getting slower and slower. 

gfs_z500_vort_eus_23.png

The good solutions we were seeing had better NS interaction. Latest runs we are seeing that pulling further to the north. Also not seeing the greatest response from the surface low. Something to keep an eye on though when you see a closed low with such a track.

Weeklies tonight are going to be a train wreck and probably cause some panic.  But I can't imagine they go anywhere good when we already know day 15 starts here...

IMG_8160.thumb.PNG.dc3ede7f3b85758e3d91c12b1815731e.PNGIMG_8161.thumb.PNG.69a7c059bea048215144bf85d65cc3b7.PNG

EPS is a complete disaster. No way to sugarcoat that mess. just have to hope the gefs is sniffing out the pattern better.  Amazing how opposite the EPS and gefs are after day 10.  

• Haha 1

IMO the differences between the Eps and GEFS are largely MJO driven. Eps makes sense if the wave only gets to phase 6 and then dies in the COD. GEFS makes sense with a continued progression into phases 6 and 7. And it’s not weenieish to say the GEFS has been much better with the amplitude and progression, or lack of it, over the last few weeks vs the Eps. But as of yesterday at least, GEFS showed the wave getting to phase 7 with strong amplitudes while the Eps again killed it in phase 6. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic
  • WxUSAF locked this topic