Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The N PAC shows a huge change underway at the very end. If you loop the H5 heights between about 324-360, you can see the whole shift occurring. If we got to see a few more panels, you'd prob see a big -EPO develop. Hopefully that is the change occurring for real and won't get pushed back. 

It took me about 10 minutes of comparison of 0z and 12z looking at nhem images but yeah I see it.  Hopefully this settles some of the weenies down especially with the good snows eps spits out over the next 2 weeks.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

It took me about 10 minutes of comparison of 0z and 12z looking at nhem images but yeah I see it.  Hopefully this settles some of the weenies down especially with the good snows eps spits out over the next 2 weeks.

Yeah not to be lost in the chatter about N PAC takin its time is that the models are trying to keep New England in their own cold little world with multiple snow threats. Maybe they work out or maybe they don't but that run shows how you could get some events in a fairly meh pattern...but climo is starting to help and the split flow at times is producing some systems that try to run into cold domes. 

I know there's a lot of noise and speculation of what's causing this and what's causing that but for me this crappy pattern: MJO first the past 3 weeks.

Thankfully progression now looks for real. We don't have to necessarily get two phases 8 1 and 2... that would be wonderful but even the COD would break this pattern & get the PAC more favorable which is THE must. 

Screenshot_20181231-234900_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes should it materialize

The weenies will be dripping in endorphins 

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah not to be lost in the chatter about N PAC takin its time is that the models are trying to keep New England in their own cold little world with multiple snow threats. Maybe they work out or maybe they don't but that run shows how you could get some events in a fairly meh pattern...but climo is starting to help and the split flow at times is producing some systems that try to run into cold domes. 

I asked Ray about this a few days ago.  It's one way to "produce" if timing is right.

6 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I asked Ray about this a few days ago.  It's one way to "produce" if timing is right.

Yeah. It's not this big time classic split flow where we see a block in Hudson Bay, but it disconnects enough at times to give us a system underneath some northern stream confluence. The northern stream also makes an appearance too for additional threats...likely clipper/redevelopers but still better than the status quo for winter enthusiasts. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OSUmetstud said:

I have a 2 bedroom apt...

Plus, I live in Newfoundland not Nova Scotia. That storm has been trying to trend colder, but its going to be tough, I think. Maybe a trip to Cartwright, Labrador is in order. One of the good things about so much model uncertainty is that you never know what might pop on the next run. 

Wreckhouse wind warnings?

7 minutes ago, Go Kart Mozart said:

Is there a specific definition?  And do you work for Environment Canada?...I am wondering if you are a hoister of wreckhouse wind warnings.

I hoist internally. I don't work for EC, our company has a lot of contracts with provincial and municiple DOTs, oil companies, etc. Wreckhouse is a specific region in Newfoundland where they have really intense downslope winds (like Foehn or Chinooks). They can reach over 100 knots in certain situations because of the favorable topography there. Les Suetes are the name of the same phenomenon that occurs in Inverness, Nova Scotia downwind of the Cape Breton Highlands. 

• Like 1

Isotherm

"The cyclonic energies associated with the stratospheric polar vortex split, propagating southwestward into SE Canada, are becoming evident in the troposphere. The principal reason why we're seeing modelling detect the not insignificant 50/50 tropospheric vortex lobe near Newfoundland in the medium range is courtesy of stratospheric modulation. The split vortex can be seen, reflected through z70/z50. This projects upon the 500mb layer quite well, and aids adjunctively in driving the -NAO signal post January 4th [this may reflect favorably on the 8th-10th, but I will say no more right now]. NAM diminution maintains for post January 5th, with tropospheric effects in the mid-latitudes quite rapid in the second week, coupled with amelioration in chi z200 divergence. ECMWF changes were quite positive today and expected. The long-term reversion depicted is still apocryphal and will continue to adjust. Again, not going to say anything more sensible weather wise, but the idea that most of January is "lost" will be wrong - I believe that quite strongly and confidently."

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

2 storm threats on the GFS

We'll have to look up how many times you've said a given model has two storm threats since Thanksgiving.  Just busting your balls but I feel like every day for over a month you see two storm threats coming up.  Eventually it will happen though, lol.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

We'll have to look up how many times you've said a given model has two storm threats since Thanksgiving.  Just busting your balls but I feel like every day for over a month you see two storm threats coming up.  Eventually it will happen though, lol.

Well, the GFS does have a couple of possible threats...whether they bear fruit, who knows?  I kinda doubt anything happens as depicted 

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Threats lurk around every dark corner of the GFS. :ph34r:

• Haha 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic