Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

Just now, HoarfrostHubb said:

Does this really fit the little critter definition (a la Tip and Bosart?)

No. This is a larger scale SWFE redeveloper....if it redevelops just a shade sooner we're really talking full blown Miller B...but right now it's kind of a hybrid SWFE/late bloomer. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still need to get it inside 4-5 days. Wouldn't be a total shock if it still trended north and powderfreak was the most frequent poster by the time we get to 2-3 days out. 

But at least it has some good Synoptics to it....the high is in excellent position and it's cold too. Not stale. 

The way this winter is going it’ll be rains to Maine’s as they’ve all been, but that HP is something we haven’t seen since the Nov storm.

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

No. This is a larger scale SWFE redeveloper....if it redevelops just a shade sooner we're really talking full blown Miller B...but right now it's kind of a hybrid SWFE/late bloomer. 

As it slows down once it hits the Atlantic, It tries to blow up the low, The oz Euro looked more Miller B'ish, So yeah, I would put in the hybrid SWFE category for now.

still don't like the look of that... At D4 you can clearly see a preponderant positive anomaly well anchored in the lower level Rosby layout from Hawaii all the way around to Bermuda, and the Euro tries to amplify a trough over top.  

I suppose stranger things have happened. 

Again... I think keeping a potent wave as a flat wave type of evolution is warranted but ... this game is at times about juggling anomalies too - 

I'll say one thing.. the pattern in the Euro nearing D10 does take on more +PNAP look ... 

It almost looks like the model is trying to fight it though - ...obviously that's an affectation but it's a poorly constructive western heights look that has a lot of weird holes punched in it... Like it's all N-stream and there's a concurrent breakdown of much forcing at all below the 40th parallel.  weird. 

I wonder if ever it has happened where there's a lead wave with a nice 6-8" low end warning snow that fades into choking Norlun ...  Such that it looks like one single 30" juggernaut but was in fact two disparate things going on: a wave moves off the snow lightens for several hours and then the lag trough/convergence with llv neg eq p-v goes nuts.  

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

EPS really likes a cold bias for the d6 system.

With that setup to the NE as the previous poster said you’d think this would be flatter.  The tendency the last decade is for SWFE type storms to always be amped.  We don’t see the 12/27/90s or the 2/8/94s as much anymore that pound us down here in NYC where we stay mostly snow so I’m siding with a stronger system but with that Op run setup I think it’s running the system too far north 

10 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I wonder if ever it has happened where there's a lead wave with a nice 6-8" low end warning snow that fades into choking Norlun ...  Such that it looks like one single 30" juggernaut but was in fact two disparate things going on: a wave moves off the snow lightens for several hours and then the lag trough/convergence with llv neg eq p-v goes nuts.  

I know in Feb 94 we had a somewhat similar overrunning to coastal setup which produced 18+ inches over a 4 day period, much colder air mass but that also had an initial burst of 6-8 followed by a 8-12 a day later

1994-02-09 11 7 9.0 -18.5     0.52 6.0 15
1994-02-10 20 0 10.0 -17.7     T 0.1 14
1994-02-11 19 4 11.5 -16.4     0.92 10.0 23
  hi lo ave dep       snow depth

021321.png

download (1).png

4 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

With that setup to the NE as the previous poster said you’d think this would be flatter.  The tendency the last decade is for SWFE type storms to always be amped.  We don’t see the 12/27/90s or the 2/8/94s as much anymore that pound us down here in NYC where we stay mostly snow so I’m siding with a stronger system but with that Op run setup I think it’s running the system too far north 

Ha I just posted that the same time you posted this, has that look to me just not as cold

5 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Ha I just posted that the same time you posted this, has that look to me just not as cold

I don’t recall one SWFE since then where we stayed cold enough for all snow here.  Even February 08 flipped over I think.  It just seems either we aren’t getting the vortex far enough south in Canada or the systems have been too amped.  In the 80s and early 90s we got many flatter waves.  Even January 1989 which was our only event of the 88-89 winter was a SWFE that was all snow here 

55 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Still need to get it inside 4-5 days. Wouldn't be a total shock if it still trended north and powderfreak was the most frequent poster by the time we get to 2-3 days out. 

But at least it has some good Synoptics to it....the high is in excellent position and it's cold too. Not stale. 

:lol:  I like when everyone is in the game at least in the lead up....discussion is lively.  Nothing kills disco on here like RT 2 northward snows.  

Then it turns into me, Gene and Dryslot with an occasional comment from Dendrite.

It seems many are becoming locked into a either or scenario for late January or that’s what’s frequently discussed 

should the pattern change more favorable ( it can’t become much crappier ) there are several options and ways to do so

just slowing the flow down and jamming things up in part of the maritime can lead to more late bloomers , even thou the pacific may NOT become that favorable and If the pacific does it could be by a smidge or dramatically but also break backdown to something less favorable a week to 2 weeks later . Just reminding folks that a switch to a better pattern doesn’t lock that pattern “in” for a certain amount of time that weenies want . It could for several weeks but that is TBD . I believe this is obvious to most but at times optimism and certain repeated perspectives gets the best of us.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I know in Feb 94 we had a somewhat similar overrunning to coastal setup which produced 18+ inches over a 4 day period, much colder air mass but that also had an initial burst of 6-8 followed by a 8-12 a day later

1994-02-09 11 7 9.0 -18.5     0.52 6.0 15
1994-02-10 20 0 10.0 -17.7     T 0.1 14
1994-02-11 19 4 11.5 -16.4     0.92 10.0 23
  hi lo ave dep       snow depth

021321.png

download (1).png

Good find!  ...even looks similar too - 

I'm/we're not saying that's an analog per se but... this thing seems like it could product a wave and then a lingering inv trough sort of set up ... "if" the total wave spacing turns flatter like it should... 

The other possibility is that the total synoptic r-wave configuration is in the process of changing "as" this thing unfolds, ... separate headache if that were ever to happen -

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic