Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

3 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

I was thinking the same too...but didn't want to say it and look like wishcaster.  But that was my thought.

It actually looked like it was starting to cave around day 10, then went back to the garbage look, only to shift back again at the end. Definitely says that 10-15 day period is the big question mark. I guess one could look at it as finally leaning towards it's own weeklies in the 2-3 week time period.

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Right at the tail end. I was looking at 12hr height differences as well and pattern was pretty yucky after day 10. 

Unfortunately I only get 24 hour height differences and clearly they’re up at AK at the end of the run.

comparing to 0z this is a significant improvement at the end of the run.

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

The other possibility is that the total synoptic r-wave configuration is in the process of changing "as" this thing unfolds, ... separate headache if that were ever to happen -

I notice that your 582 line is over Myrtle Beach at 120 hours, Jacksonville at 144, then as the storm is departing at 168 hours it is all the way down to Key West.  

47 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

It seems many are becoming locked into a either or scenario for late January or that’s what’s frequently discussed 

should the pattern change more favorable ( it can’t become much crappier ) there are several options and ways to do so

just slowing the flow down and jamming things up in part of the maritime can lead to more late bloomers , even thou the pacific may NOT become that favorable and If the pacific does it could be by a smidge or dramatically but also break backdown to something less favorable a week to 2 weeks later . Just reminding folks that a switch to a better pattern doesn’t lock that pattern “in” for a certain amount of time that weenies want . It could for several weeks but that is TBD . I believe this is obvious to most but at times optimism and certain repeated perspectives gets the best of us.

Thing is that there aren't many $hitty weak el nino Feb to choose from. The real question is do we wait until Feb, or can we flip the second half of January. Not a "repeated perspective", just the honest to goodness truth. Even Feb 2007 was a good pattern...we just minimzed potential.

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Things is that there aren't many $hitty weak el nino Feb to choose from. The real question is do we wait until Feb, or can we flip the second hakf of January. Not a "repeated perspective", just because honest to goodness truth. Even Feb 2006 was a good pattern...we just minimzed potential.

Yes please:

nyc2006.gif

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Thing is that there aren't many $hitty weak el nino Feb to choose from. The real question is do we wait until Feb, or can we flip the second half of January. Not a "repeated perspective", just the honest to goodness truth. Even Feb 2007 was a good pattern...we just minimzed potential.

It’s gonna flip for sure.  I was thinking the same earlier.  There may be more good La Niña February’s than there’s been bad Niño ones.  So I think it happens but if it’s not til 2/5 nobody is going to reach normal snowfall outside of a KU 

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s gonna flip for sure.  I was thinking the same earlier.  There may be more good La Niña February’s than there’s been bad Niño ones.  So I think it happens but if it’s not til 2/5 nobody is going to reach normal snowfall outside of a KU 

Agree.

Disregarding all opinions and preconceived notions, there is no way we won't have a decent pattern in February. How much we avail of it and how long it lasts is the question. I think 1995 is the only modest el Nino that failed to produce a KU magnitude event (still had 1'+ event)....that VD Day 2007 event was a whale. Just hugged too closely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I said a long time ago it seems unlikely we’re going to somehow realize 130% of normal, and all the similar predictions,  when we keep squeezing snow production into a smaller and smaller window. Something’s gotta give at some point and then the discussion will be do we get to average? Do we get a KU? A MECS? 

4 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Agree.

Disregarding all opinions and preconceived notions, there is no way we won't have a decent pattern in February. How much we avail of it and how long it lasts is the question. I think 1995 is the only modest el Nino that failed to produce a KU magnitude event (still had 1'+ event)....that VD Day 2007 event was a whale. Just hugged too closely.

I still think this February is more conducive to 2015 that 2015 was ...  heh

• Like 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic