Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

7 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Yeah they certainly could be wrong. But things suck pretty bad now and December was a shut out. Persistence? 

I think December being a shutout has zero to do with how January evolves. It wasn't a shutout because it was a horrendous pattern, it was a shutout because the pattern was pedesterian and we didn't catch a break.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I think December being a shutout has zero to do with how January evolves. It wasn't a shutout because it was a horrendous pattern, it was a shutout because the pattern was pedesterian and we didn't catch a break.

The 2nd half of December was worse than pedestrian.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, weathafella said:

The eps is the board’s mental health barometer.  Nothing else.  Not the fact that all guidance has our first good snows on a long time next week, not the epic GEFS and GEPS look...nothing.

I'll sell on that putrid look in mid January. Probably going to start seeing some adjustments, but there is nothing anyone can say right now....people just need to see it snow and I get that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I'll sell on that putrid look in mid January. Probably going to start seeing some adjustments, but there is nothing anyone can say right now....people just need to see it snow and I get that.

At a certain point seeing is believing and all the prognostications of pattern changes coming and better days ahead, no matter how rooted in sound guidance they are, aren’t going to penetrate the psyche when people feel repeatedly disappointed.  Just human nature.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JBinStoughton said:

At a certain point seeing is believing and all the prognostications, no matter how rooted in sound guidance they are, aren’t going to penetrate the psyche when people feel repeatedly disappointed.  Just human nature.  

100% agree...and its normal. I do the same thing.

Hopefully we start shoveling soon.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The eps is the board’s mental health barometer.  Nothing else.  Not the fact that all guidance has our first good snows on a long time next week, not the epic GEFS and GEPS look...nothing.

I will never understand the love affair with the EPS. There’s mets that forecast solely from it. We were always told to blend all the ensembles on here . If you know their biases , you know how to weight them 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was referring to the -AO. You can have a cold Canada above a certain latitude even with a +AO

But your premise is wrong.  Things suck because the pacific jet is roaring.  Put high pressure where low is in AK and we party .

The EPS is wrong, high amplitude MJO pattern doesn't support it just dying out like that. I think it'll get stuck or slow down in phase 7/8 and then move from there.

Here's something interesting, did you know that sometimes when the models show warmth in the long range they may end up being wrong. 

Seriously why does everyone assume it's correct. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic