Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2019 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

That’s a consistent signal on all the guidance and it’s strong today so far.  Warning snows in the pike region.

Yeah I'd like to see it get inside of 5 days but it's been a remarkably consistent look the last 2-3 cycles despite the lead time. 

7 minutes ago, weathafella said:

But your premise is wrong.  Things suck because the pacific jet is roaring.  Put high pressure where low is in AK and we party .

Well yeah that I agree with, that’s the fundimental problem we need to change. I was hoping that the SSW would trigger a full scale pattern realignment. But really what we need to see first is the tropical fourcing change. This is at the outer limits of my knowledge and I have trouble putting it into type.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, weathafella said:

The euro family has MJO in 7 by tomorrow and 8 for about a week before dying in the cod.   You would think guidance would be better?  That’s today’s forecast but is it that much different vs yesterday?

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/precip/CWlink/MJO/CLIVAR/clivar_wh.shtml

The only problem I see is the ecmwf plot goes to the COD then re-emerges in phase 5

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Well yeah that I agree with, that’s the fundimental problem we need to change. I was hoping that the SSW would trigger a full scale pattern realignment. But really what we need to see first is the tropical fourcing change. This is at the outer limits of my knowledge and I have trouble putting it into type.

Yea. My original point was that the tellie charts can be misleading. 

26 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

The only problem I see is the ecmwf plot goes to the COD then re-emerges in phase 5

Clearly those crazy high amplitude phase 5/6 didnt pan out in the end. Something is going on with the mJO's forecast. They all seem terrible.

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

It’s funny to see the GFS as a whole in recent op runs and ensemble members wanting to try and cut the system into Quebec more than other guidance.  It’s usually the GFS that’s flat as a pancake 

That’s not what gfs does in the end though.  Ends up a SWFE of the old school variety.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Definitely better than 00z for SNE. Might have ptype problems verbatim near BOS, but at this stage...no choosing. 

Nice frigid high and it very good synoptic position so even areas further south in SNE that have issues with midlevels would likely be dealing with IP/ZR. 

2 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Nice regionwide WSW there. This is the first storm since Nov 15, that has been there multiple model runs in a row. This ones got Pickles Milf legs.

Still need to get it inside 4-5 days. Wouldn't be a total shock if it still trended north and powderfreak was the most frequent poster by the time we get to 2-3 days out. 

But at least it has some good Synoptics to it....the high is in excellent position and it's cold too. Not stale. 

• Haha 1

• ORH_wxman locked and unpinned this topic