Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a big snow to ice event in the interior on Mar 13-14...it dumped a crap ton of snow in NH and ME....Tamarack loves to talk about that one because I think it was his peak snow depth. Frigid airmass leading into it.

1 minute ago, CoastalWx said:

Reminds me a bit of what happened on the south shore prior to flipping to all snow in 97.

METAR KNZW 292000Z 04024G34KT 1/2SM -TSSNPL FG OVC003 01/00 A2907 RMK TB S MOVG N /CNL LGTIC SLP845 T00060000

wasn't living here then but  N Foster COOP had 17, must have been meat because 9 remained on the ground 4-2

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

There was a big snow to ice event in the interior on Mar 13-14...it dumped a crap ton of snow in NH and ME....Tamarack loves to talk about that one because I think it was his peak snow depth. Frigid airmass leading into it.

Only day that classes were cancelled in four winters in C. Maine. Spring skiing at Sugarloaf was epic.

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

somewhere in Uganda, Ray is high fiving a mango tree that he was right. 

Nah...because of one opportune ensemble suite amidst a sea of discontinuity? That would be hypocritical.

I'll let the dust settle...fly out at 1022.

Probably be blogging from 10k above the Atlantic tonight

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Nah...because of one opportune ensemble suite amidst a sea of discontinuity? That would be hypocritical.

Do me a favor. Eat some Mexican tonight at the airport. Fart your way over the Nat Tracks and let the Brewer-Dobson circulation take the methane into the N pole. That will kick start the SSW. 

6 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Which part of Uganda are you going to? I am sure you have read all the travel precautions

Careful there, though... 

You can drive a west-based -NAO over top of a SE ridge .. The ridge only appears gone but in reality it is merely suppressed .. which is bad.  That's a large scale interference pattern (negative) and has so much velocity the torque budget has nothing left for S/W that end lost in the maelstrom..  

The SE ridge isnt' really dependent on the NAO phases... The two can coexist.  

What you really want is a relaxed flow/-NAO west based...and I'd even qualify that further by suggesting that -NAO not be deeply negative either.  

Buuut, we're also talking idealized states... I guess if you got a long way to go, the best start is any pathway that doesn't include 80 F in Febr  - agreed... heh

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Careful there, though... 

You can drive a west-based -NAO over top of a SE ridge .. The ridge only appears gone but in reality it is merely suppressed .. which is bad.  That's a large scale interference pattern (negative) and has so much velocity the torque budget has nothing left for S/W that end lost in the maelstrom..  

The SE ridge isnt' really dependent on the NAO phases... The two can coexist.  

Well instead of something cutting into Montreal, you help force something weak under SNE. However, I think the general pattern is to have less of a SE ridge anyways, independent of the NAO state as we head later this month and into March.

45 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Wait to 38,000.  Hold on tight for the ICTZ. Been there-shake rattle and roll!

6 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Well instead of something cutting into Montreal, you help force something weak under SNE. However, I think the general pattern is to have less of a SE ridge anyways, independent of the NAO state as we head later this month and into March.

yeah I added to that statement I made, which more than less echoed that idea...  

Archived