• Welcome to American Weather

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Baroclinic Zone

February is upon us - pattern change is in order

So we are wrapping up a month that say many highs (Early month Blizzard) and lows (late month TORCH) but we have survived and are in the midst of our stormiest period of the season historically.  The pattern looks to be quite active as we enter the month with the PAC reigning supreme.  We have a small threat later this week to start the month that could be a refresher of sorts for some and wet for others.  After that we look towards 5-7th for a more significant storm coming up the coast.  Details still to be ironed out on that one.

Lets see where we go from here..... 

Well, it's daylight after 5pm now, so any storm we get during the day is going to fight to accumulate

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Well, it's daylight after 5pm now, so any storm we get during the day is going to fight to accumulate

You’re not serious Di are you lol???

please tell me you’re just busting???

1 hour ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

So we are wrapping up a month that say many highs (Early month Blizzard) and lows (late month TORCH) but we have survived and are in the midst of our stormiest period of the season historically.  The pattern looks to be quite active as we enter the month with the PAC reigning supreme.  We have a small threat later this week to start the month that could be a refresher of sorts for some and wet for others.  After that we look towards 5-7th for a more significant storm coming up the coast.  Details still to be ironed out on that one.

Lets see where we go from here..... 

Yeah as far as surviving, its pretty crazy how throughout this all there's been solid snow cover for the entire month of January.  The thaws could beat it down but the pack will not surrender.  Now time to start building again.

6 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

What might have been a 6" storm total in January will not only result in a 3" storm total in February.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah as far as surviving, its pretty crazy how throughout this all there's been solid snow cover for the entire month of January.  The thaws could beat it down but the pack will not surrender.  Now time to start building again.

Very close to bare ground here.  

17 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

Oh, I'm totally just ball busting, but it's about that time for someone to drop the lovely tidbit...i call 1st!

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, #NoPoles said:

Oh, I'm totally just ball busting, but it's about that time for someone to drop the lovely tidbit...i call 1st!

LMAO...That’s what I thought.   Good one

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It’s been a very poor snow pack year down here compared with recent years. Not the worst obviously but below average. It snows and then melts quickly and has been paltry for the most part when it’s stuck around.

3 minutes ago, White Rain said:

It’s been a very poor snow pack year down here compared with recent years. Not the worst obviously but below average. It snows and then melts quickly and has been paltry for the most part when it’s stuck around.

December wasn't bad. Was pretty much full snow cover from the 9th onward though it never got really deep..did start to get a little bit of Swiss cheese right before the ice event. But yeah, the one time it finally started getting deep after the 1/4 storm, we torched about a week later and wasn't able to keep it going. 

Anyways, 00z NAM is pretty nice for Thursday night. But yeah...NAM. Esp after yesterday's performance. 

8 minutes ago, White Rain said:

Really?... for some reason I thought down into the ORH hills and western Mass had solid snow cover.  Didn't look it up though.  Bummer as I thought you guys had been running more wintry in a few events.  It hasn't been deep here but solid cover of 5-6" that you can walk on now.  Long time worth of 6-12 inch pack, basically all of January.  Not deep winter but something.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Really?... for some reason I thought down into the ORH hills and western Mass had solid snow cover.  Didn't look it up though.  Bummer as I thought you guys had been running more wintry in a few events.  It hasn't been deep here but solid cover of 5-6" that you can walk on now.  Long time worth of 6-12 inch pack, basically all of January.  Not deep winter but something.

The recent torch melted most of what was remaining off. Snow cover days have been fine at ORH but the depths have not been able to really get going. Just that brief period after the 1/4 storm fell on top of the December snow. 

12 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Down here in the CT valley  after the massive torch we have only had a few days of solid snowcover during most of the second half of January. Most days have looked brown with some crusty piles in the woods and shade fading day by day. 

Just now, Powderboy413 said:

GFS now has a significant snowstorm on the 5th. Rain for the coast though

Yeah, wants to crush W MA, too bad it's 5 days out.  That would be a 12"+ W of the River.

2 hours ago, WinterWolf said:

That’s rain for all of CT, RI and eastern Mass. I’ll pass on that depiction...

Totally agree however I feel like the rebuttal is that it is a 118 hr panel and climo is in your favor......see what I did there? lol....

Basically all guidance is beating down the ridge out west. It’s why I mentioned the cold never getting crazy yesterday.  We should watch this to see if it reverts back or if it’s real.