Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

He’s still riding high from Feb 2006 when the JMA scored on the nyc blizzard....if it can, then anything is possible.

Didn't the JMA also score with Jan 2005 also?  That was my first real snow event following on Eastern and our first blizzy warning in West Hartford IIRC......lol JMA

4 hours ago, ice1972 said:

Didn't the JMA also score with Jan 2005 also?  That was my first real snow event following on Eastern and our first blizzy warning in West Hartford IIRC......lol JMA

No.  I don’t think we even knew JMA existed at that time.   January 2005 belonged to the euro. 

I'll be missing the warmth here next week for a couple days' work trip to FL.  The week after that I'll be in SF.  Hopefully winter will return by the time of my return.Meanwhile, the driveway and path out to the woodpile are treacherous.  I'm not sure if the remaining couple inches of snow is serving any really useful service, so I won't be devasted to have it melt and get replaced with something less icy.

15.5*

The EPS GIF through end of Feb that Earthlight posted looks to me like a huge block between Greenland and Iceland, a 50-50 low, a suppressed SE ridge, and a ridge off of the west coast with a SW low.  Does that not suggest swfe with the blocking causing redevelopment on the coast or a good chance we are on the cold side of the gradient?

Edit - and I should add, some ridging over Quebec and Ontario.  Looks like a good set up unless I'm missing something

With certainty ... the differences in the 00z operational model runs has been discussed, but as I really only engage in this stuff over morning coffee these days I realize I'm probably repeating sentiments here. 

The Euro and GFS must be modeling on two distinctly different planetary bodies in orbit around the sun: one them is on Earth, the other is on a fantasy world. 

I'm just not sure which one.  

The teleconnectors really don't support the operational GFS, not even those based upon it's own ensemble cluster.  It seems to be eroding ridges ...thus, tamping down the latitude of warm thickness penetration, quite persistently at that. As of yesterday, both the CDC/CPC agencies actually supported the look of the operational Euro, ironically.

The Euro is/was probably being a bit fantastic that far above climo. Such a result is/was probably less likely - enter myriad of reasons here that more than just seem to materialize serving to normalize such appeals.  

Meanwhile, the GFS is probably carrying on with a progressive bias that is hammering/shearing down ridge arcs too prodigiously... probably shallowed out troughs, too.  That then lends to it having polar highs from residual confluence episodes moving swiftly by to the north.. setting the stage for these repeating ice/mixy looks.  

Reality will as usual cast some where in between.  

Extremely interesting March incoming.

EPS and GEFS are now in agreement with all teleconnections with the exception of the epo, where GEFS keeps it slightly negative (EPS slightly positive). Also, GEFS is a little more aggressive with the extent of the negative phases of the AO and NAO. To counter this, both have the PNA as negative, rising towards March to slightly negative.

We will find out soon enough if the NAO and AO can override the pacific to allow a storm to slow and explode off the coast for snow. Will be interesting regardless.

Also Interesting is the split in the weather community, approx. Half saying a period of snow while the other stating warm and snowless.

Does anyone have analogs for similar teleconnections?

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

Extremely interesting March incoming.

EPS and GEFS are now in agreement with all teleconnections with the exception of the epo, where GEFS keeps it slightly negative (EPS slightly positive). Also, GEFS is a little more aggressive with the extent of the negative phases of the AO and NAO. To counter this, both have the PNA as negative, rising towards March to slightly negative.

We will find out soon enough if the NAO and AO can override the pacific to allow a storm to slow and explode off the coast for snow. Will be interesting regardless.

Also Interesting is the split in the weather community, approx. Half saying a period of snow while the other stating warm and snowless.

Does anyone have analogs for similar teleconnections?

It's really early to claim any side right now. Lets not forget how March 2010 turned out with blocking too...lol.  All you can say is that the type of blocking shown could create a higher chance of a large precip event. No idea about ptype...not even going to attempt to go there. Our more classic large precip events feature more of a Davis Strait or a hair west type blocking. Not quite there yet. 

9 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It's really early to claim any side right now. Lets not forget how March 2010 turned out with blocking too...lol.  All you can say is that the type of blocking shown could create a higher chance of a large precip event. No idea about ptype...not even going to attempt to go there. Our more classic large precip events feature more of a Davis Strait or a hair west type blocking. Not quite there yet. 

Thanks

Archived