Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, J Paul Gordon said:

Knew it was warm but wasn't aware of the 80 plus streak. Would be amazing to have it happen in February! If we can't break a snow record, why not a heat record?

Well doing it the third week of March was pretty darn impressive in itself. Not to mention the huge amount of real estate that got in on that heat. It is on my top 5 list of anomalous weather events I've ever witnessed.

7 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Well doing it the third week of March was pretty darn impressive in itself. Not to mention the huge amount of real estate that got in on that heat. It is on my top 5 list of anomalous weather events I've ever witnessed.

It was beyond awesome . I was telling  ORHWX on the ski lift Friday how incredible it was to watch an entire Mountain with a years worth of natural and blown snow completely melt off in 4 days. The sound of water rushing was incredibly loud, huge boulders banging thru culverts.Maine  had had an impressive snow event at the beginning of March too. But man the skiing was as good as it gets, pure buttery turns in shorts and tee shirts. Once in a lifetime experience I will never forget, we had low 90s at the base and mid 80s up top

21 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah. It's definitey about snow in terms of getting the forum emotionally riled up...and I agree we havent been totally lacking the cold either the past 2 weeks. It's not ideal but we've had it in place. But it's often just the luck of the draw...or as those who get offended by the idea of "luck"...it's chaos. Unpredictable chaos has conspired against the snowier outcomes despite some decent cold air masses off an on. In a parallel universe that front running shortwave on Friday night never happens and we have a bit of a shortwave to the north causing confluence which means today's event is a 8-12" overrunning beast with ice to the south of the snow...it's really not that hard to synoptically paint that picture within the CONUS upper air pattern this morning. But most of the masses really aren't too interested in parsing the reasons why it didn't happen...they are just grumpy it didn't happen and will let everyone know about it. 

Bingo winner winner chicken dinner

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Did you see any signs of this torched Feb back in mid January though?

I saw signs of Feb not being what many were touting, by late Jan. A torch? No, but it was already beginning to collapse a bit which had me concerned. I know I voiced it many times. Some thought I was grumpy, but I also know what I'm talking about.

That SE ridge (at least IMO) probably will weaken later this month. On the other hand, I don't think I would be saying cold and wintry March either. We'll see how the weeklies look. March is one of those months that can have oddities. You can have a crap pattern and one bowling ball drop a foot. Or, vice-versa.

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

everyone in his wagon circle, lol. Yea many businesses that depend on weather certainly were not happy but it was pretty spectacular for those unaffected by weather vagaries

The winter was shot.  Spring is a painful month for us and 2012 delivered a North Carolina style season.

Also, this pattern is more classic Nina unlike Feb and Mar 2012. If you recall, it was a Chinook blast furnace with an epic black hole in AK. That SE ridge currently means we may be mild, but the west and Plains are going to be cold. Unlike that winter. The west is going to get some mojo back.

7 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I saw signs of Feb not being what many were touting, by late Jan. A torch? No, but it was already beginning to collapse a bit which had me concerned. I know I voiced it many times. Some thought I was grumpy, but I also know what I'm talking about.

That SE ridge (at least IMO) probably will weaken later this month. On the other hand, I don't think I would be saying cold and wintry March either. We'll see how the weeklies look. March is one of those months that can have oddities. You can have a crap pattern and one bowling ball drop a foot. Or, vice-versa.

March 2014 was a good example of us getting skunked mostly in a great pattern...NNE did get slammed that month though (with the huge one being Mar 12-13).

Archived