Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February is upon us - pattern change is in order

Baroclinic Zone

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Had a decent event on the 20th too, I think you came up the week after?

Yeah I came up on the 21st-23rd....snowpack there was absolutely ridiculous. The event on the 20th I think dropped like 15 inches...was not supposed to be that big. RGEM nailed it though I recall...had like over an inch of QPF for that area of Maine and adjacent NH with mid-levels just cold enough.

Anyways, the GFS sort of shows how some of these events could turn sneaky if the timing is right...there's a lot of cold air in Canada...it's not a 2012 furnace across the whole continent.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah I came up on the 21st-23rd....snowpack there was absolutely ridiculous. The event on the 20th I think dropped like 15 inches...was not supposed to be that big. RGEM nailed it though I recall...had like over an inch of QPF for that area of Maine and adjacent NH with mid-levels just cold enough.

Anyways, the GFS sort of shows how some of these events could turn sneaky if the timing is right...there's a lot of cold air in Canada...it's not a 2012 furnace across the whole continent.

Sneaky has always been on the table and I'll take credit for using the term a few days ago when I said the upcoming weekend could be a "sneaky" system. :P

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

It was beyond awesome . I was telling  ORHWX on the ski lift Friday how incredible it was to watch an entire Mountain with a years worth of natural and blown snow completely melt off in 4 days. The sound of water rushing was incredibly loud, huge boulders banging thru culverts.Maine  had had an impressive snow event at the beginning of March too. But man the skiing was as good as it gets, pure buttery turns in shorts and tee shirts. Once in a lifetime experience I will never forget, we had low 90s at the base and mid 80s up top

I was at killington for that. Went from 100% open at the beginning to nearly closed in a few days. I got one of the worst sunburns of my life snow boarding in a tank top. I agree that was a once in a lifetime event. The base is impressive even in southern Vermont right now. It will take a major long lasting warm period to destroy it. As long as we don’t see a full out torch things should be fine 

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

Yeah, but nothing compared to last year.

ironically the best week of winter was in last Feb for us

2017-02-09 33 12 22.5 -5.0 42 0 1.70 14.5 13
2017-02-10 26 6 16.0 -11.7 49 0 0.00 0.0 12
2017-02-11 30 18 24.0 -3.9 41 0 0.11 2.0 13
2017-02-12 32 18 25.0 -3.0 40 0 0.66 4.4 15
2017-02-13 32 22 27.0 -1.2 38 0 0.07 0.5 15
2017-02-14 35 16 25.5 -2.9 39 0 0.00 0.0 14

1 minute ago, jbenedet said:

Confidence in -PNA developing early next week went up significantly past 24 hrs.... If that happens, as indicated on the ensembles today, record warmth incoming. I'm still in wait and see mode, but I'm def leaning well AN next week after looking at the updated teleconnections and 12z guidance. 

Great, every time I come back and see if things have gotten better, they've only gotten worse.

15 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

I haven't had a below normal seasonal snowfall since the abysmal 2011/12 season.  My closest season to normal was last year when I had 45", which is ~5" above normal.

It’s interesting-BOS was mildly below snow wise 2015-16 and this year the jury is still out-could end up below but we’ll see.  The rest were AOA.

Archived