SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The NAM is way more over amped compared to other models.....it is doing exactly what it is famous for doing....I doubt we see the GFS/Euro/CMC even close to this amped.... 
Maybe. But I can hope not. Again, living in different locales, it's interesting how we all look for "positive" trends in whatever the latest model output shows. One of us should be happy with the results of this upcoming storm, and right now the smart money is still on your neck of the woods, downeast.

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, wncsnow said:

Remember the NAM is on an island right now... I still think this setup is best for 95 East

Does nobody find it odd that it looks like the main low moves westward back towards the coast? How many times have we seen that happen to the extent the nam is showing? Just seems odd to me. It will be interesting to see the rest of the 12z runs and what all the local NWS offices have to say where they put their support in the AFD's this afternoon.

4 minutes ago, Cold Rain said:

If we get any legitimate globals to show anything close to this, winter storm watches will be up by the AM.

honestly after what happened last jan with literally EVERY member of the gefs giving central nc 6+ of snow 48 hrs out, I could not care less what they globals do with this

heck we were watching gso get rocked while the gefs were still pumping out big central nc totals

13 minutes ago, Lookout said:

nam has accumulating snow ONE county away here. need only the tiniest of shifts...also ratios on the back end will be impressive. 

3km nam precip shield is too

refcmp_ptype.us_se.png

Is anything preventing the northwest trend from continuing to occur?  I’m thinking ATL may be out on this one but areas say from Conyers to Athens and east wouldn’t need much more of a shift to see snow. 

20 minutes ago, calculus1 said:

Wow! Hours 57-60 on the 3K NAM have the snow shield way far west. I can't figure out how to attach the images on my phone, but here:

https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/models/?model=nam3km&region=seus&pkg=ref_frzn&runtime=2018010112&fh=63&xpos=0&ypos=0

Sent from my Alcatel 6055U using Tapatalk

Dewpoints 

B469C44D-C364-4A5C-86A1-85BB8649C887.jpeg

We had .03 of freezing rain/drizzle on Friday morning in Charleston and it caused chaos for hours. Four or five major bridges were closed. Anything more than that would be a shutdown event. We had about a quarter inch of ice in the Feb 2014 storm and the Ravenel was closed for 72 hours. 

Archived