Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

Just now, Wow said:

A very good read on HM's twitter account wrt to phasing.  The reason for more precip further west has been a trend not of more "phasing" but off the southern wave trending stronger and staying separate of the arctic jet.

https://twitter.com/antmasiello

If this thing comes to us like you said yesterday, I’m going to drive to Mooresville and give you a giant hug. SREF Looks even more impressive than the NAM.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Queencitywx said:

If this thing comes to us like you said yesterday, I’m going to drive to Mooresville and give you a giant hug. SREF Looks even more impressive than the NAM.

I was just kidding about the I-85 special but just seeing something accumulate here would be a massive surprise based on what we were looking at just yesterday.

6 minutes ago, Wow said:

A very good read on HM's twitter account wrt to phasing.  The reason for more precip further west has been a trend not of more "phasing" but off the southern wave trending stronger and staying separate of the arctic jet.

https://twitter.com/antmasiello

That is an awesome read. I believe the qpf shield is going to be much more expansive than currently progged on the west side. Especially with a low as strong as depicted. Will be interesting to see what comes to fruition in the end. 

11 minutes ago, superjames1992 said:

Seeing some February '73 type amounts for portions of SC on these models.  Would be pretty wild if it comes to fruition.

yeah that crossed my mind too. wish something like that happened again...my area managed to get around 6 inches but of course that was a different setup and all with a low that popped much sooner but it sure seems like there is an increasing likelyhood of something truly special at least up to an augusta to columbia line. 

It's going to be quite a scene though in southeast ga and sc with freezing rain accumulations followed by significant snow. Whatever falls is going to stick around a while. 

Feb1973SnowfallAccum.png

1 minute ago, Wow said:

I was just kidding about the I-85 special but just seeing something accumulate here would be a massive surprise based on what we were looking at just yesterday.

Yep...same here. I'd consider it a big win if i saw even a dusting. I didn't think there was much chance of anywhere besides the immediate coast had a shot of anything meaningful until recently. As cold as temps are aloft, it won't take much liquid to get a good coating for those of us well inland if we can manage to get precip....assuming these far west solutions verify and that trends continue our way. 

1 minute ago, Cold Rain said:

Yep, we keep waiting for it to make a move, but the fact that it’s not us pretty telling.

GFS and Euro are close.  Always a long shot to get it back to us but it does look like a solid event for the eastern Carolinas.  Hopefully we get a chance later in the winter.  

4 minutes ago, packbacker said:

Euro has had more or less been the same 3 runs in a row.  Solid snows far eastern NC.  Best model inside day 3.  

i see this thrown around so much that it actually bugs me. the euro busts quite often inside 3 days just like everything else  but for some reason people never remember them. Just a few weeks ago, it had areas that got a foot of snow in georgia getting no more than a dusting, if that, 48 to 72 hours out. Euro folks must have a hell of a PR team. 

1 minute ago, Blue_Ridge_Escarpment said:

The SLP was definitely West this run. Gives more credence to the NAM versus GFS or CMC. 

When it passes us.  Qpf and slp at hour 60-66 have been consistent the past few runs.  Really looks close to 12z yesterday.  Will windshield wipe next couple of runs, but don’t see any trend on the Euro for us.  

Just now, packbacker said:

When it passes us.  Qpf and slp at hour 60-66 have been consistent the past few runs.  Really looks close to 12z yesterday.  Will windshield wipe next couple of runs, but don’t see any trend on the Euro for us.  

No model is windsheild wiping. Every model is trending NW with the SLP. 

2 minutes ago, Lookout said:

i see this thrown around so much that it actually bugs me. the euro busts quite often inside 3 days just like everything else  but for some reason people never remember them. Just a few weeks ago, it had areas that got a foot of snow in georgia getting no more than a dusting, if that, 48 to 72 hours out. Euro folks must have a hell of a PR team. 

I was just reading Grits model verification thread...looks like CMC and UK won that one.  Those are close, further west with qpf then GFS and Euro.  So it’s...

NAM/UK/JMA/CMC vs Euro/GFS.  Should be a good battle. 

1 minute ago, packbacker said:

I was just reading Grits model verification thread...looks like CMC and UK won that one.  Those are close, further west with qpf then GFS and Euro.  So it’s...

NAM/UK/JMA/CMC vs Euro/GFS.  Should be a good battle. 

Smart money on the non euro camp so far this winter. 

Archived