Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today feels like the day - the NAM showed its hand and I think we'll start to see some action from other models shortly. Been looking at SREF plumes and averages have been climbing up the past day for at least some measurable snow in RDU; while mean didn't increase this morning there are more members with measurable snow (vs higher outliers earlier).image.thumb.png.1eadc8af01fe0747a517ca5e4ae81b1e.png

2 minutes ago, FallsLake said:

6z RGEM is even more west than the NAM and starts the development of the second low sooner. 

Here's hour 54; as far as it goes on Tropical Tidbits:

aaaa2.jpg

Wow. Look at SE GA. Can't wait to see how this unfolds. NWS JAX discussion this morning was pretty good. They are discounting the GFS and going with a NAM/EURO blend. Looks like Waycross will start out as a freezing rain, before changing over to rain/snow mix.

Just now, PackGrad05 said:

RAH is saying light snow possible east of US-1 with accumulations less than 1 inch.  Rain or snow, no mixing.

They will likely be wrong then. The 3km nam is showing sleet, snow and zr transition areas in addition to rain. It is king at finding warm noses and delineating p-type too. It would not be a good decision to ignore it’s output and go with the either rain or snow shown by the globals. 

Just fractions separate the 6z NAM v/s 0z GFS/UK.   The 6z GFS was closer to the 6z NAM but still not the NAM.  Not good when your only hope is the phase happy NAM after 48 hours.  The changes we need (early phase) is within 48 hours now, would think if if it's going to happen other models need to start showing it, otherwise it should be a nice event for the coastal Carolinas.

Top row is NAM/GFS/UK at 0z Wednesday

Bottom row is NAM/GFS/UK at 12z Wenesday

apl3K6z.png

3 minutes ago, snowlover91 said:

They will likely be wrong then. The 3km nam is showing sleet, snow and zr transition areas in addition to rain. It is king at finding warm noses and delineating p-type too. It would not be a good decision to ignore it’s output and go with the either rain or snow shown by the globals. 

My guess is they are discounting the NAM's but yeah, FAY is freezing rain and not snow.   ILM is rain on the 12km NAM.  But that is a beefed up outlier.

http://68.226.77.253/text/MESOSFC/NAM_Kfay.txt

1 hour ago, BornAgain13 said:

NAM basically has a Snowacane for South Carolina.... Is it right? I doubt it, but maybe its right with the path... We will soon see.

namconus_ref_frzn_seus_47.png

If it is right, , I only need about about a 25 more mile shift to at least see a little here. Also, I wouldn't be shocked if there isn't some light snow associated with the shortwave back over north ga. The main thing preventing it is a dry column From 850mb to the surface (figures that a system this strong would be so dry.)  But the 06z nam is showing more moisture...even briefly showing snow reaching the ground in eastern Alabama). 

1 minute ago, PackGrad05 said:

RAH is saying light snow possible east of US-1 with accumulations less than 1 inch.  Rain or snow, no mixing.

That's about as good of wording we could have from them at this point. Also that came out right before the latest NAM and RGEM. I would say we definitely have a chance at this point of some wintery precip, but still a larger chance of nothing at all. Just have to keep watching the trends today. 

8 minutes ago, packbacker said:

My guess is they are discounting the NAM's but yeah, FAY is freezing rain and not snow.   ILM is rain on the 12km NAM.  But that is a beefed up outlier.

http://68.226.77.253/text/MESOSFC/NAM_Kfay.txt

Yeah I’m expecting a transition zone somewhere of sleet and freezing rain if the nam is anywhere close to being accurate. The globals will be slow to catch up with phasing imo. 

Just now, zacharylane3 said:

Are you saying this storm is gonna be more ice than snow? I’m confused....

If the NAM depiction of the warm nose and a stronger system is correct there will definitely be more than just a rain or snow transition zone. There will be some sleet and freezing rain. Interestingly the RGEM seems colder aloft. Here are the 00Z RGEM ensembles at 72. They show a narrow transition zone of ice but usually the NAM is superior with warm noses to other models, especially the 3km version.

PT_panel_072.gif

1 minute ago, snowlover91 said:

If the NAM depiction of the warm nose and a stronger system is correct there will definitely be more than just a rain or snow transition zone. There will be some sleet and freezing rain. Interestingly the RGEM seems colder aloft. Here are the 00Z RGEM ensembles at 72. They show a narrow transition zone of ice but usually the NAM is superior with warm noses to other models, especially the 3km version.

PT_panel_072.gif

That’s a lot of good members. And a lot of not so good ones. Trying to keep my hopes tempered, but some good signs to go along with the bad ones.

Archived