Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 3-4 Storm Thread part II

rduwx

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, ajr said:

9z SREF just went up in a big way for RDU (won't post the individual view because some of the outliers are NSFW [not safe for weenies, like me])

5a4a391596d02_ScreenShot2018-01-01at8_34_16AM.thumb.png.cd11782d35227249e161ffbb89c9bad2.png

Just looked...and I hate myself for looking.  8 of 13 ARW members are 4"+ and some are really big.  7 of  13 NMB members are solid for RDU.  

Just now, NCSNOW said:

Just read a good mets opinion. Thinks jackpot is 6 to 12 between Raleigh and I 95. Mixing I 95 east. 

Not even the super amped NAM shows that...interesting call.  Though, that's probably what the SREF mean is but we know how amped those are usually.

Just now, IWC said:

Don't Threaten me with a good time...

6 minutes ago, NCSNOW said:

Just read a good mets opinion. Thinks jackpot is 6 to 12 between Raleigh and I 95. Mixing I 95 east. 

Powerstroke, You better think about loading your toys and coming east!!! Young man.

That's a dangerous assumption. From what I have learned being south of 85... Always believe nam precip types.

1 minute ago, goldman75 said:

If we get rates like the NAM is showing I really don’t think mixing will be a huge issue east of 95.  It will mis with sleet and freezing rain at first but I think the cooling will change to snow for a good while if it’s coming down hard enough 

9 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

If we get rates like the NAM is showing I really don’t think mixing will be a huge issue east of 95.  It will mix with sleet and freezing rain at first but I think the cooling will change to snow for a good while if it’s coming down hard enough 

TOTALLY agree! It’s definitely gonna be more snow than ice. It’s cold folks! 

2 minutes ago, zacharylane3 said:

TOTALLY agree! It’s definitely gonna be more snow than ice. It’s cold folks! 

Now if we get weaker rates, the warm nose will cause big time mixing issues.  But if they’re heavy and there’s not much more westward trending, I think the dynamic cooling helps us get some snow.  Just an assumption though until the next model runs lol

4 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

Now if we get weaker rates, the warm nose will cause big time mixing issues.  But if they’re heavy and there’s not much more westward trending, I think the dynamic cooling helps us get some snow.  Just an assumption though until the next model runs lol

Or it flip flops all day leading to little accumulations.  Seen it a 1,000 Times here near Charlotte.  Rates overcome for 15 minutes and as soon as it slows down a little it’s a mix or rain.  

8 minutes ago, goldman75 said:

Warm noses are often stronger than modeled. If the 3km NAM is showing one it’s a good idea to believe it AND shift the transition zone NW 20-40 miles. It’s great with them and dynamic cooling probably wouldn’t do it. 

Archived