Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Ji said:

if this is really a 95-96 analog...its going to keep being painful till our Jan 6 blizzard...then massive torch and will reconvene in February

People make too much of the torch in 96. It wasn't the day after or something. Yea it would have been awesome to get that blizzard a week earlier to start that cold period but we had a cold week after 2 more snows (1 significant)  before the torch. When I think back on that week I don't think of the torch. I think of all the awesomeness before. We are way too far south to think we are going to get weeks on end of cold and snowcover. 

3 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

People make too much of the torch in 96. It wasn't the day after or something. Yea it would have been awesome to get that blizzard a week earlier to start that cold period but we had a cold week after 2 more snows (1 significant)  before the torch. When I think back on that week I don't think of the torch. I think of all the awesomeness before. We are way too far south to think we are going to get weeks on end of cold and snowcover. 

Yeah I remember two really nice events in the week following the blizzard that seem to get overlooked, and then obviously the torch and rains came. But, besides Feb 2010, that was arguably the best snow stretch of my life.

Worth noting that models can easily be wrong about the cold dry pattern just like they were wrong about the cold snowy pattern. Realitycould end up being a cold modestly snowy period. But i have to be honest. The ebbs and flows of this forum are awesome in a good way. Snow is hard to come by here which makes  it special when we score. Having said that 0z is where we get the good runs tonight (96 was my first memorable snowstorm and it was epic)

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Man...what a intense stretch of cold coming ..just looking at mby using Euro temps.  I never get out of the 20s for 10 strait days including 1-  3 day stretch of mid teen highs . That's really impressive if true. I have no  doubt that  it will snow . How much is the only question .

If this were to verify, then it will be one of the most impressive cold waves I'll have experienced in my 30 years on this Earth, especially considering the lack of deep snow cover.  Events like this usually lead to a wealth of burst pipes, sewer lines and chimney/furnace fires.  

Just now, losetoa6 said:

I agree. 

By weeks end I bet depot and lowes will be out of heaters , snow  blowers,  shovels, pipe heat tape,  etc  and plumber service calls will be up  3 fold .

Last time it got even close to that was in 2014 and I ran 6 fatal house fire in Carroll County in 3 weeks.  All in the middle of the night.

12 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

If this were to verify, then it will be one of the most impressive cold waves I'll have experienced in my 30 years on this Earth, especially considering the lack of deep snow cover.  Events like this usually lead to a wealth of burst pipes, sewer lines and chimney/furnace fires.  

Why the chimney fires? People just start using fireplaces they haven’t used in a long time that haven’t been maintained?

7 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

One problem that occurs is people who live in really old homes/ apts. buy these supposed "room  "  plug in 1500 watt  heaters  that require a dedicated circuit in reality.... but they just end up  plugging them in any recept. not to mention houses with old aluminum wiring .. look out ......fire city man. 

Yeah, that’s about the only part that I don’t like about cold. Fires in small dwellings with high occupancy, CO poisoning, etc

25 minutes ago, Buddy1987 said:

Another run another middle finger the Nam gives to the Euro and says I agree with the GFS. Nam and GFS almost identical at hr 84 on 00z Nam.

Not saying the Euro or GFS are right but I think the Euro gets worshiped by some a little too much.  Overall the Euro is a better model but it shouldn’t be taken as the only piece of guidance like some here seem to want to do.  Euro was late to catch on to a few things over the past week that GFS seemed to sniff out first.  

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived