Newest Member
    joxey
Holidays 2017-18 Mid-Long Range Disco 2

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, clskinsfan said:

CMC has a nice coastal early next week. Something to keep an eye on. 

It's convoluted. It's like a giant inverted trough with the northern stream tugging on the storm off the coast. Not saying it's impossible but no way a model nails something like that 7 days out. Not a chance....but I hope it's right....heh

17 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Gfs is dead to me. I'm drinking molsen tonight.

gem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_us_32.png

Did you see the h5 on the gfs. It's showing potential there too. Even if it's all fubar at the surface. just have to wait and see if it picks up support and holds to become a legit threat. For now it's just hope on the horizon. 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

It might but the cmc already looks very similar. Still at the edge of higher confidence range. I think it will hold but probably move the stripe around a little. 

Are you thinking the euro moved towards the gfs then? 

I think the pattern overall is just too suppressed, confluent, and dry. I’m hoping for the best and the vort remains, but I’m less than optimistic given the trends we have been seeing day to day. 

6 minutes ago, Amped said:

Huge fantasy storm for new england incoming, looks like January 2015 at 204hrs. Will not get a hold of the coastal front fast enough for us.

I don't care about details at that range. I like the h5 look. Problem is in this kind of pattern it will be different in 6 hours. But the more good looks pop up the more likely it is we get lucky probably. 

But if we actually got this look I would take my chances. IMG_3513.thumb.PNG.77965431f52663e7f630a2c680534fcd.PNG

4 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

Did you see the h5 on the gfs. It's showing potential there too. Even if it's all fubar at the surface. just have to wait and see if it picks up support and holds to become a legit threat. For now it's just hope on the horizon. 

I'm not biting on a single anything outside of 5 days right now. I already think the gfs is very wrong starting at hr84. The d8+ deal might be legit but I expect a continuation of huge swings with ops beyond d5. I'm just hoping the weekend deal works out. 

5 minutes ago, ers-wxman1 said:

I think the pattern overall is just too suppressed, confluent, and dry. I’m hoping for the best and the vort remains, but I’m less than optimistic given the trends we have been seeing day to day. 

At the very least it's held for a couple runs and is showing up on more than 1 model. That's pretty good considering the volatility we've been seeing.

I agree that depth of cold in the med range will verify at a lesser magnitude. The thorn in the side is no sign of the southern stream at all. We've had a lot of northern stream activity in recent years. It can produce but moderate events are top end most of the time. I just want 2.3" before the year is out. I'm expecting it more than worried it won't happen 

1 minute ago, Bob Chill said:

I'm not biting on a single anything outside of 5 days right now. I already think the gfs is very wrong starting at hr84. The d8+ deal might be legit but I expect a continuation of huge swings with ops beyond d5. I'm just hoping the weekend deal works out. 

Yea like I said above the look will change every 6 hours. And the gfs seems to be a mess right now. But I would rather see more amplified runs vs less and seeing two models tonight want to throw a more favorable setup to get something room to breath near us isn't a bad thing. The more runs like that we see in general our odds are better to score even if the details on any given run are likely to be wrong. 

Would not throw in the towel on weekend storm yet, both GFS and NAM have decent energy moving into CO from WA (I call this the marijuana express) and the flow ahead is rather featureless, would not take much to get a low to form in OK or TX on 29th or 30th and then phase with the ambiguous 500-mb reflection over Ohio and PA. Whether it amounts to a real storm or just a few inches of snow, I think something is still going to happen there.

As to the Jan 3-4 event on CMC, that is not so late that I would call it a new development, more of a delayed response to this same energy peak. Loads of room for that depiction to improve as it seems to be responding to retrogression (note how the coastal heads almost due north into southern New England, this is totally new model thinking right or wrong). Which got me thinking, if this pattern begins a slow retrogression over next 48h, it could reopen the weekend coastal storm window all the way.

Anyway, it is still 120 hours to Jan 1 00z and 144 to Jan 2 00z, model errors at that time range are sometimes considerable. The life in this current jet streak feature (a consistent 0.2 to 0.5 inch snow trail from NE to s OH) may be a signal that the cold air is not just going to glide all the way to the GOM without resistance, after all, there's no snow pack in the Gulf states and the flow remains almost westerly most of the next 72h, why should there not be a frontal zone forming up something like LIT-BNA?

I would say 30% chance significant storm 31st to 2nd and 50-50 if we include 3rd-4th. (that's for MidAtl, higher probs northeast).

7 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

At the very least it's held for a couple runs and is showing up on more than 1 model. That's pretty good considering the volatility we've been seeing.

I agree that depth of cold in the med range will verify at a lesser magnitude. The thorn in the side is no sign of the southern stream at all. We've had a lot of northern stream activity in recent years. It can produce but moderate events are top end most of the time. I just want 2.3" before the year is out. I'm expecting it more than worried it won't happen 

I’m holding out hope as well. 

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived