Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

On average,  at least in SNE, you get around 3 chances for a big snow dump per year.  Some years are anomalously high and others low.  I would consider this one chance 1 and squandering it OTS a kick in the cojones.

Good point.

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, weathafella said:

All that said, I remember some offshore monsters which brushed far eastern areas while everyone looked east at the darkened sky and wondered what might have been.

I remember that in late march ...perhaps early April of 2014 ... monster storm was modeled from about 300 nm E of Hatteras to outside the BM ...to western NS, at some 955 mb too... It stuck that way in the charts from D5 in, too ...infuriating to the old climate adage of west is best when dealing with S-N runners up the g-string... yet, no bueno.

mother fugger detonated ... ~ 300 nm E of Hatteras, bombed through 950s and passed outside the BM and end up filling as it passed over western NS... bringing light snow as far west as Framingham and maybe a period of near winterstorm criteria harshness to the arm of the cape to about Welfleet or so...

Of course the models would be perfect in that scenario 5 days in advance ... what else were we thinkin  -

29 minutes ago, Hazey said:

Miller B's seem to be much better for qpf than miller A's. Atleast in my experience and my latitude. You wanna catch them while they are bottoming out, not when they've bottomed out. Pressures of sub 950 sound cool but probably won't be prolific snow/rain producers.

Not sure this qualifies as either ... though one could technically argue for Miller A and do okay in that debate, it's really more prone to being a capture scenario - I don't know if those Miller paradigms had that in mind.

Capture being the N stream dictating where the southern stream goes by "tipping" the flow, and quite plausibly, though yet to be determined, even absorbing it ... We haven't actually seen that yet but was hinted in those huge runs two days ago.  Could yet...

Anyway, in the stricter sense, a Miller B is when you have a more west to east moving primary cyclone that runs into topographical limitations, as well as CAD viscosity, and then the upper levels abandon said primary in lieu of lower resistance along the coast and seaward and boom.  Miller A's are just deep southern runners that turn up the west Atlantic ridge and pummel the coast that way. 

This is kind of neither in totality...

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

Miller B's seem to be much better for qpf than miller A's. Atleast in my experience and my latitude. You wanna catch them while they are bottoming out, not when they've bottomed out. Pressures of sub 950 sound cool but probably won't be prolific snow/rain producers.

Go away. Jk I love me some B. Actually give me a B with anomalous southern stream moisture. F it just give me feb 13, TIA.

19 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s come hundreds of miles west in 36 hours . Literally 

It's gone hundreds of miles east in the past 48-60 hours.  ;)

I agree with Hippy...its maybe a real short term thing but aside from 2 model cycles that kicked this well east, there's no true trend developing looking at the 500mb level and even surface if you average out the past 48 hours.  Heck 12z two days ago we were looking at the EURO running this thing over ORH.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

? Qpf queen?

48-60 hours ago the EURO was jackpotting KART and running the low over New England.  That's west of where it is now.

I'm no expert but these were more west than it is now (just grabbed from earlier in the thread).  From December 28 12z run (48 hours ago from today's 12z runs).

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_8.png

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

48-60 hours ago the EURO was jackpotting KART and running the low over New England.  That's west of where it is now.

Could very well end up there again before its all said and done too, That northern stream vortmax is going to have a lot to say where this goes.

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

lol you didn't see one thing that would make you think warning snows back west of the river.  You are just "wishing" at this point.  It's like the battle cry for models that might be shifting west... "warning snows to west of the rivah!"

This made me legit lol.... so true. When a system slides underneath it’s... warning snow to the pike

Archived