Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter model mehhem or mayhem nature will decide

weathafella

44 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's gone hundreds of miles east in the past 48-60 hours.  ;)

I agree with Hippy...its maybe a real short term thing but aside from 2 model cycles that kicked this well east, there's no true trend developing looking at the 500mb level and even surface if you average out the past 48 hours.  Heck 12z two days ago we were looking at the EURO running this thing over ORH.

Meaning once it went east it’s corrected back west but as Will pointed out .. can’t come that much farther west with no block 

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, SouthCoastMA said:

This storm is going to lead some to their biggest melts of the year. You can just feel it. 

Your the 2nd person to say that.  I have not seen anybody lock or say it's a 2015 storm. Pretty level headed response in here. I personally only like my EPS probabilities for at least 3

I have faith right now that it won't come as far west as everybody wants, it will reach about as close as 50 miles to the east of the benchmark, ridging out west is over the Rockies, not the west coast, and the troughing over the eastern US is east of James Bay, not over it or west of it, this storm is east bound, it can correct west some more, but not to the benchmark everyone hopes it will.  If the models are close on strength east of the benchmark at around <955mb, then this will deliver the goods to western MA and CT and NYC 6"+ given the large circulation and strength of the super low.  You won't need the benchmark track for significant snows.  Also this doesn't occlude until north of Nova Scotia, Canada so it will be producing over 2' of snow along the first 100 miles west of the track.  Just watch folks, the west trend won't last enough for a bm track, hope I am wrong.

7 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Your the 2nd person to say that.  I have not seen anybody lock or say it's a 2015 storm. Pretty level headed response in here. I personally only like my EPS probabilities for at least 3

Yea, I think there is subjective reading going on. Catching up, I only see the usual suspects showing their colors. Other than that, its a pretty level headed discussion. 

2 minutes ago, USCAPEWEATHERAF said:

I have faith right now that it won't come as far west as everybody wants, it will reach about as close as 50 miles to the east of the benchmark, ridging out west is over the Rockies, not the west coast, and the troughing over the eastern US is east of James Bay, not over it or west of it, this storm is east bound, it can correct west some more, but not to the benchmark everyone hopes it will.  If the models are close on strength east of the benchmark at around <955mb, then this will deliver the goods to western MA and CT and NYC 6"+ given the large circulation and strength of the super low.  You won't need the benchmark track for significant snows.  Also this doesn't occlude until north of Nova Scotia, Canada so it will be producing over 2' of snow along the first 100 miles west of the track.  Just watch folks, the west trend won't last enough for a bm track, hope I am wrong.

You hope your prediction of 2' in your backyard is wrong? Come on :lol:

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

48-60 hours ago the EURO was jackpotting KART and running the low over New England.  That's west of where it is now.

I'm no expert but these were more west than it is now (just grabbed from earlier in the thread).  From December 28 12z run (48 hours ago from today's 12z runs).

ecmwf_z500_mslp_namer_8.png

What did the 384 GFS show?

I think the key is when and possibly if it turns north or northwest. I've seen storms that get tugged left but I've also seen storms that were progged to do it only to transition to a more northeast direction as we get closer in to go time. This will be interesting without a block as to wether dynamics can do the job.

32 minutes ago, Hazey said:

I think the key is when and possibly if it turns north or northwest. I've seen storms that get tugged left but I've also seen storms that were progged to do it only to transition to a more northeast direction as we get closer in to go time. This will be interesting without a block as to wether dynamics can do the job.

Usually the man against cold and snow is saying that the NAO is diving negative because that is what the GFS deterministic forecast say. 

Has Ryan chimed in. He usually loves the monster storms.

what is there about this system that the models are going sooo deep with. Got to be more than the arctic airmass.

I mean there are some amazing bombs being thrown around.

What is the max potential of a storm like this with this sorta S-N track. I mean say w a beautiful Northern stream capture and small stall. 

1 minute ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

what is there about this system that the models are going sooo deep with. Got to be more than the arctic airmass.

What is the max potential of a storm like this with this sorta S-N track. I mean say w a beautiful Northern stream capture and small stall. 

The southern stream going so far south definitely helps infuse extra baroclinicity. We're not just using moisture and antecedent temps over the waters off the mid Atlantic. We're dragging the high PWATs from the Bahamas into the warm conveyor. That's why on some of these solutions when the phasing is in sync, we see the crazy bombs. 

He’s probably playing it smart and staying out of this mess until things become a little more clear.

23 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Hey guys...the Euro maps are off limits again except for the one specifically from the weather.us site. The Maue maps that have weather.us watermarked are not allowed either...only the ones on Joerg's site.

We should all thank Joerg for spending a small fortune on his site for free euro data.

Archived