Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I'm not actually disagreeing with you. But I wasn't talking about the Sunday clipper. The frontal boundary has two different waves along it. Friday morning and another later Friday into Friday night. Both are weak and on most guidance hard to even separate. But I meant the second wave on the front was our better chance because the trough is sharpening up so the second wave has a better chance to amplify some. Runs that key on that instead of the Friday morning wave are the snowier solutions. I'm definitely not punting anything for that Sunday clipper that may or may not even be there. 

I hear what you're saying, and I recall us being in similar situations before...i.e., do we "root" for getting what we can with the first wave, or hope the 2nd one is (relatively) more significant and hope for that instead?  At this point, maybe neither are that great in terms of amount of snow, but it's early in the season.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Its no joke and definitely worth pointing out. That period really has looked solid for a while. I made 2 or 3 posts over the weekend (in the old thread) about the h5 look on both the GEFS and EPS for around the 15th. And it is still holding.

I would remind Mitch that is the week I predicted the first widespread snow event for the MA, but I am sure he remembers, lol.

And I would remind you that this is the 4th time you reminded me.   ;)

Just now, mitchnick said:

And I would remind you that this is the 4th time you reminded me.  ;)

Nah second, maybe third. And that wasn't an official reminder!

If the weekend deal would continue to trend a bit more favorably it would be irrelevant. Unfortunately, it looks like the only place with a decent chance of seeing accumulating snow is the immediate coast. 

1 minute ago, yoda said:

so 18z NAM at hr 84 is > than the 15z SREFs?  Right?

Right. Like how a dry turd is better than a wet steaming turd.

I'm mildly optimistic about the storm in my neck of the woods (since the  S VA thread never really got going) If we can hit the sweet spot, and get a heavy band going, the upside potential would be great.

5 minutes ago, Bob Chill said:

Don't want to start mass panic or anything...but the EPS made a decided shift away from the strong -EPO late in the run. 

I didn't mind the look. Epo goes more neutral or slightly negative but the pna is good still a -AO and the southeast ridge that tries to pop for a couple days is being beaten down by the eastern trough and another cold shot towards the end. I can even envision a 50/50 being hinted at by some of the runs within that mean look. 

Its not the greatest look ever but I would say it's still more good then bad. 

1 hour ago, Cobalt said:

I'm wondering how some of you folks survived in Dec 2015 :lol: 

Be well rounded. Have several hobbies. Watch with amusement as many get a running start worthy of the Olympics then take a spectacular leap.

We're going to get our snow in DC this winter though. I never panic, even as the so-called "reaper" licks his chops as he longs and longs to dig a nice deep hole for The Jebman.

52 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

nah, Nam is flatter than 12z

edit: thru 75 hrs. at least

Yes... but IMHO 84 looks interesting because of the closed h5 low in E WI and decent dig of the pretty potent southern vort in MS/LA

Then again... its h5 at 84 hrs on the 18z NAM :lol:

ETA:  Pensacola Florida gets more snow than we do

7 minutes ago, yoda said:

Yes... but IMHO 84 looks interesting because of the closed h5 low in E WI and decent dig of the pretty potent southern vort in MS/LA

Then again... its h5 at 84 hrs on the 18z NAM :lol:

ETA:  Pensacola Florida gets more snow than we do

I do see what you mean about that if you just looked at that panel and nothing else you would think a big storm is going to phase.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived