joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2017 Mid-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmm...that does seem like a decent jump in the GEFS snow total, if that's really worth anything.  I'll note that we're getting close to the boundary of when the Op GFS should be favored over the GEFS, at least for the Friday-Saturday coastal mess.  Maybe even for the 0z suite tonight, I'd probably weigh the Op more heavily.   Especially for precip products, where the GEFS lower resolution will tend to smear out precip gradients, which is important for events like this.   

I still don't quite now if the same thing applies for the EPS vs. Euro Op.  EPS members run at the same resolution as the GFS Op (I think), so I'm not sure when the Op tends to beat the EPS mean.  

Personally I don't really care about any clipper potential Sunday ATM so here is the GEFS sans any clipper action Sat/Sun. It's certainly nothing to scoff at 4 days out, but with zilch OP agreement on anything substantial in the past couple days I think it's just prolonging our disappointment.

a92a3d61ab30c187afd5528fc4d6bcc0.jpg

Not sure why the image isn't working but it slightly lowers the mean.

8 with +2" at DCA
14 with at least an inch
4 with nada.

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Personally I don't really care about any clipper potential Sunday ATM so here is the GEFS sans any clipper action Sat/Sun. It's certainly nothing to scoff at 4 days out, but with zilch OP agreement on anything substantial in the past couple days I think it's just prolonging our disappointment.

e1b9dc986b2747f1401282da995ddf6f.jpg

The image didn't work, at least on my computer

9 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

In great winters, we find a way to score measurable snows in close situations like the coming weekend.  So figure this weekend as a test for the season. Not a final, but first important one in my weenie mind. 

Funny, I had that thought earlier today. Some winters just want to snow. Let's hope this is one of those winters.

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Timing has really slowed on some of those members.. a couple have it snowing on Sat afternoon .. 24 hours ago it was a Fri/ Fri night storm. This could be  a good thing I think 

Pretty sure that's a great thing. If I remember correctly the Blizzard of 2016 was forecast to start during Thursday night, but the models made the onset later and later, at one point Friday night, while the storm did start at Noon for DC. Odd example, but what I'm trying to say is it's probably a good thing

53 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

In great winters, we find a way to score measurable snows in close situations like the coming weekend.  So figure this weekend as a test for the season. Not a final, but first important one in my weenie mind. 

Can’t agree more and it’s fair to say that many of us are due for a winter that it just wants to snow.

With the indicies on our side, the snow pain index may need to add a few more numbers beyond 10 if we can’t score a little in the next few weeks.

47 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Here's the individual ensemble runs. Only 1 outlier for huge snow and a bunch of good ones

gefs_snow_ens_washdc_21.thumb.png.3177ee5bc48f66bac99c20278ffca5be.png

16/20 show at least some snow, so I'll take it :santa:

I find this fascinating because we haven't had an op run show snow for couple days.  We are inside 96. We are still in but I feel lousy about it.  Pessimistic I suppose.  

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Can’t agree more and it’s fair to say that many of us are due for a winter that it just wants to snow.

With the indicies on our side, the snow pain index may need to add a few more numbers beyond 10 if we can score a little in the next few weeks.

We are certainly overdue for a cold/snowy winter. Last one where we had both of those in combination was 2013/14. 15/16 was Snowy, but not cold. 14/15 was cold but not too snowy (still above average).

16 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Looking at hour 84 esp ... 12z was much more consolidated with the lows . 18z is much more spread with locations. I was intrigued by 18z Gefs actually esp for places southeast of me .

Still some spread in time and location, but if you look at the last few runs, it looks like 18z has more members with lows(some deeper) and in a more favorable location for the same time period. Or maybe I have a had a few too many drinks and I think my glass is half full :P

2 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

I find this fascinating because we haven't had an op run show snow for couple days.  We are inside 96. We are still in but I feel lousy about it.  Pessimistic I suppose.  

No reason not to seem Pessimistic. In fact, the better word would be cautious. If I were to make a forecast for the storm this weekend, I'd say 30% chance of snow. None of the Ops support it, but the good news is that they've moved NW. EPS/GEFS have moved NW. Could be setting up to bait us and turn SE next 3 days, but it's something to look out for

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic

Archived